Extending FFC Cables....

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by sprockett, May 28, 2013.

  1. sprockett

    Thread Starter New Member

    May 28, 2013
    Hi there,

    I have a 24pin 0.5mm pitch FFC cable which I hope to extend using a FFC Jumper cable.

    I did a search on best ways to do this:

    1. MANUALLY SOLDER (Difficult)

    --> I really hope to avoid this as I have REALLY bad soldering experience.

    2. Buy a Extension circuit board (hard to find in 24pin)
    --> I know the above is 40pin. But would it not be possible to just slot in a 24pin (so i don't really use the remaining pins), as long as the "pitch" is correct? This would be great since 24pin version is unavailable.

    3. Use a normal FPC adaptor to compress two FFC ends together??
    --> This seems like the simplest and easiest way... But is it really THAT simple? Buy a 24pin adaptor, and stuff two FFC ends inside and clamp it down?

    Appreciate any comments / help.

  2. MrChips


    Oct 2, 2009
    I had no idea what is an FFC cable and had to look it up.

    I would usually call this a ribbon cable.

    Solution: Make a new cable of the desired length.

    Edit: I now have to assume that FFC refers to those ribbon cables that use no connectors on the ends. In that case I have no solution to offer.