ExpressPCB & Gimp

kbyrne

Joined Dec 10, 2011
I am new to your site but have been helped by yo just reading away. I read about ExpressPCB and have a CuteWriter for creation of the PDF function. I tried everything and nothing worked in uploading into Gimp and SaveAS. All attempts came out undersized not 100%. I then took a photo with Jing and uploaded it into with useing open then desktop and then saved it to desktop and the only way to print is the photo wizard with picture viewer. I cannot Get 100%
size any other way. Where does 600dpi go in gimp exactly as I dont have any idea about that function or how to figure out my printer as it is old with no manual. It is a HP deskjet 832c and says 300dpi. What do I do next. Any ideas thanks.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
What are you trying to do exactly? I you just want to print mirror for the silkscreen then CutePDF has an option for that.

You need to set it in the Windows Printer Control Panel before printing to CutePDF.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Many ink jets are actually 300 DPI. I have the same problem between my inkjet and laser printer. Both are HP.

I think you will find a lot of answers to your questions at the end of my Project: How to make PCBs article. GIMP is not a easy package to use, there are quite few setpoints you need to adjust for it to work correctly. The last couple of pages I go through a Q&A on these setups. I also use PCB Express.

kbyrne

Joined Dec 10, 2011
To Spinnaker I don't understand complicated talk ect. What I am trying to do is not silkscreen. Only change bottom trace green to black and top trace red to black. My PDF
imported into Gimp is not 100% in size and trying to export useing saveas file extension pdf totally freezes my computer. How do I get My pdf to 100% first order of buisness. I am not a computer Geek. thankyou.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Again, the thread I pointed you to is specifically a how to thread, including the answers to your questions. Have you read it yet?

I spent a lot of time typing the specific answers to your questions, several very long posts, I'm not inclined to do it again here.

GIMP is a wonderful program, but it is also a PITA to use. Try reading the last two pages of that thread and see if your questions are not answered in excrutiating detail.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
To Spinnaker I don't understand complicated talk ect. What I am trying to do is not silkscreen. Only change bottom trace green to black and top trace red to black. My PDF
imported into Gimp is not 100% in size and trying to export useing saveas file extension pdf totally freezes my computer. How do I get My pdf to 100% first order of buisness. I am not a computer Geek. thankyou.

Why do you want to change the color? What does that matter? If you print it on a B/W printer it will be B/W.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
BTW CutePDF allows you to print B/W. In fact when you print from ExpressPCB it prints everything to pdf in black anyway. Not sure how you are getting color to print.

kbyrne

Joined Dec 10, 2011
ExpressPCB printed with CutePDF Then to FoxitPDF viewer prints @ 100% My problem is uploading PDF into Gimp which goes fine, then I hit SaveAS and Gimp freezes up computer and electrical plug has to be pulled for entire computer and then restarted. I am unsure as to how to save PDF's in Gimp and if it can actually be accomplished. tanks

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
ExpressPCB printed with CutePDF Then to FoxitPDF viewer prints @ 100% My problem is uploading PDF into Gimp which goes fine, then I hit SaveAS and Gimp freezes up computer and electrical plug has to be pulled for entire computer and then restarted. I am unsure as to how to save PDF's in Gimp and if it can actually be accomplished. tanks

You don't load the PDF into Gimp.

You said the reason you needed to load the image in Gimp was to change the color to black. See your post #4. There is no reason to change the color since it already prints in black. Sorry but you have me confused.

But if you still want to load it in Gimp then select Edit/Copy silkscreen layer to clipboard then paste into Gimp.

To get other layers in Gimp, print to PDF. Display the PDF. Do a PrtScr or use Windows 7 Snipping tool or similar and paste into Gimp.

kbyrne

Joined Dec 10, 2011
Tanks spinnaker but one more question from a newbi to computers to you. I have a CutePDF Writer that came with a ghostscript icon also. What is a PrtScr and where can I research it to figure out ghostscript. I have a old Compaq with WindowsXP and it is to old to upgrade to Windows 7. Thankyou

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I use PDForge. I do all my mirror functions either using GIMP or Paint, along with basic graphic manipulation. The PDF printout is only needed to get a base file to use at the beginning, and it should be 600DPI at that point as a part of the setups.

I've mentioned GIMP is also a massive PITA on the subject.

If I am repeating myself I apologize, so many projects, so many posts, I stay busy here, and I'm not always aware of what I've said where.

One last side note, I have a file in my PaintCAD program that has new pads I used to replace the ones PCB Express makes. It is basically the last step when I am making a graphic, and my PCB files are .gif files instead of the industry standard Gerber files. If you want a copy you can access my blog (Bill's Index , Introduction and PaintCAD) and grab a copy, it is in the "Breadboards and Hardware" folder.

Only GIMP can print 600 DPI, so it is not going away as part of the process.