Exponential Fourier Series Help

de1337ed

Joined Mar 6, 2011
We just started learning about fourier series, and I'm horrible confused.
Here is the graph that I need to create a complex fourier series of:

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE PHYSICAL VALUES SHOWN (Except for the 2V), Everything should be calculated with respect to T (as shown in the picture).

I don't even know how to start finding the exponential fourier series for this problem. Can someone guide me in the right direction?
From what it looks like, it seems that the function is |2sin(t)| but I have no idea how this helps.
Thank you.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
They just gave you a picture? They didn't tell you anything about the functional dependence involved? While |2sin(t)| (provided you express it in terms of T, as you say you are supposed to), is a very reasonable guess, I could produce something very similar by turning a parabola upside down, shifting it, and repeating it. But, barring better info, we can go with what you have (including the lack of putting it in terms of T, which you really need to do).

Let's start with the basic concepts, make sure you have them down, and then apply them to get your answer. This will involve some back-and-forth, so don't expect miracles immediately.

1) Describe, briefly, what your understanding of what the Fourier series representation of a function is.

2) If asked to find the Fourier series for this waveform, could you do that and how would you proceed?

3) What is your understanding of what an exponential Fourier series is?

Let's get this hammered out and then use the answers to these to take the next couple of steps.