Explain This LED Flasher Circuit

qbvbsite

Joined Jun 29, 2010
Hey,
Just for kicks I wanted to make a LED flasher circuit to see If I could build one. It was a success and I built the following circuit http://wild-bohemian.com/electronics/flasher.html (Transitor LED Flasher). Now I would like to understand how it works. I know that the 470 resitors are to limit circuit to the LEDs. As for the 100K resitors, transitors, and capacitors I'm lost. I havent got to the transitor/capacitor part of the material on this site but i do know a capacitors stores and releases current and a tranistor acts as a gate (i think at least). Thanks in advance.

--James

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
This is probably one of the oldest designs out there, they were making tube versions of it when tubes were invented.

Short explanation (it can be a lot more complicated). Each transistor is an inverter. You have two inverters coupled with caps. When you power up the circuit one side (transistor) is a bit faster than the other and starts to conduct, sending a negative pulse to the other side, turning it off. The circuit is stable at this point until the cap being charged is fully charged, turning the transistor being feed current off. This in turn sends a negative signal to the other transistor and the whole circuit flips, and is again stable until the second cap is fully charged. Repeat ad infinitium.

This circuit isn't used for critical applications. If the transistors are perfectly balanced neither starts conducting first and the oscillator never starts. This is a rare condition, but it happens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multivibrator

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Now you mention, I do. I doubt I would have if you hadn't mentioned them though. Are neon bulbs older than tubes I wonder? Both are ancient by electronic standards.

There was another discussion about just this circuit, I've spent about an hour looking for it, that also discussed this circuit in major depth.

One of the things I remember reading is long term (years? more?) it will slowly damage the transistors because of a large back bias put on the BE junction. I wouldn't worry about it though.

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
One of the things I remember reading is long term (years? more?) it will slowly damage the transistors because of a large back bias put on the BE junction. I wouldn't worry about it though.
And to reduce that back bias you can use diodes on the lower end that are bias to pass negative voltage currents to ground.

Pass them through a capacitor if you want to allow a few negative volts and create a negative rail (only useful for microamps so better referred to as a psuedo rail).

You can also use double layers of diodes to protect the transistors and create the negative rail.

Last edited:

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Hey,
Just for kicks I wanted to make a LED flasher circuit to see If I could build one. It was a success and I built the following circuit http://wild-bohemian.com/electronics/flasher.html (Transitor LED Flasher). Now I would like to understand how it works. I know that the 470 resitors are to limit circuit to the LEDs. As for the 100K resitors, transitors, and capacitors I'm lost. I havent got to the transitor/capacitor part of the material on this site but i do know a capacitors stores and releases current and a tranistor acts as a gate (i think at least). Thanks in advance.

--James
The circuit you have linked to is a classic oscillator. There are a number of sites on the Internet that have explanations for how it operates.

hgmjr

qbvbsite

Joined Jun 29, 2010
Thanks for all the replys. You guys are pretty awesome, I'll be reading all the links/text provided. I do think I need to read more on the material on this website to fully understand whats going on. It was pretty neat to build a circuit and have it work tho :). Can anyone recommend any good circuit simulation programs? Would make it much easier to prototype/investigate a circuit (a graphical one). Thanks again.

--James