Expensive Meds

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Anyone elses medications just quadruple in price a Walgreens and CVS? I ask because my scripts used to cost $130 a month, last month they wanted $600+. On the fly I contacted JnJ and they said they'd pay for $480 of it. But so far I can't tell if its just FL or the entire country. My Dr and pharmacist said its just FL. Which is holding true to friends I have in GA and CO saying their meds haven't changed price at all their still paying the $130 prices. And prices went up on everything! Pain meds, BP meds, Anti Inflams, EVERYTHING went up x3 - x4. Just wondering if any uninsured peeps out their have seen anything like this. If so I have compiled a list of mnf's that will pay for your meds if you have no insurance.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I must have done something right. My monthly went from $20.12 to zero.

Everybody else, bend over and grab your ankles. Now that the banks have rendered millions homeless by artificially inflating the housing prices with mortgages for the unworthy, and the Wall Street financiers bundled and sold those bad mortgages to the pension funds, rendering the homeless people without income, the drug companies are finishing them off with 400% increases in medication prices.

I'm just glad my home is paid off so I don't have to pay the 700% increase in Homeowners insurance that all mortgage holders must pay.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Wow! How does anyone afford that month after month? I was not paying that much for a mortgage.
Yah man its a serious problem. Prescriptions alone is a huge deal in health care. I hear about people skimping on their meds to save enough money to fill it and crazy stuff. Thankfully I qualify for the mnf.'s assistance plans so I'm still at $100 now. But that one month I just had to eat it and pay the 600. I hear of people paying 900, 1200, 2000 all the time down here since theres such a shortage and the smaller pharmacies price gouge. I refuse to use them I'll just wait till walgreens or cvs gets my medication. I'm not gonna go pay $1000 for something I can pay $100 in 2 weeks. But some people its life or death. I'm lucky enough I can wait out shortages.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Here in Australia we have a PBS drug system which the American drug companys hate. It alows generic branded drugs & govt subsidies for those who cant aford drugs.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Here in Australia we have a PBS drug system which the American drug companys hate. It alows generic branded drugs & govt subsidies for those who cant aford drugs.
I will say I have been impressed with what I've been able to get paid for by the pharmacuitical companies themselves. Its an easy process if you have no Rx Insurance. You can have normal insurance but no Rx plan. But I've found about 90% of everything or an equivelent you can get paid for. Plus companies like Johnson and Johnson, Purdue, and Covident will cover certain drugs for everyone in a certain economic bracket but also cover other drugs that are obscure if your Dr. writes them and asks them. From what I've heard about a lot of people is they can't get their Dr.s to sign the forms and fill out the paperwork to send in. I've been very lucky and my Dr has always expidited any assistance paperwork I needed ASAP. But I've heard some Dr.s just refuse to sign em, refust to fill em out, or just take and have them disappear.

SPQR

Joined Nov 4, 2011
It's pretty bad here in California.
There are a variety of ways to handle this:
Talk to your doc and ask him/her to write you as many generics as possible (rare to really "need" a trade drug)
Ask your doc for samples - if they are well-stocked you'll save a ton of money.
Ask your doc for "savings cards" - if you're not on Medicare, you can get stuff cheap
Go online to the drug company website and print out a savings card.
Shop around - our local "Costco" is the cheapest.
Order from Canada - you can save tons of money.
If your income meets certain criteria, you can get free meds directly from the drug company.

sheldons

Joined Oct 26, 2011
very expensive....glad i live over here in sunny Newcastle here in the uk.....if i ever needed meds and wasnt working they would be free

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Yes, we have a different system over here, we pay more tax but prescriptions are cheap for everyone.
From Wikipedia:
Most prescriptions in the UK are NHS prescriptions, which can be taken to a pharmacy to be dispensed. The NHS prescription fee is £7.65 per item in England (as of 1 April 2012),[5] however prescription charges have been completely abolished in Scotland,[6] Wales and Northern Ireland.[7]
Prescription charges are paid entirely to the NHS through the pharmacy, while the pharmacy claims back from the NHS the cost of the medicine dispensed. Many of the prescriptions dispensed on the NHS are exempt from charges. Patients are exempt from the standard per-item charge if they are over 60, under 16 (or under 19 if in full-time education), have certain long-term chronic conditions such as myasthenia gravis, are on certain income-related benefits, or have a low income and qualify for an HC2 certificate.[8] Those requiring regular prescriptions may make a saving by purchasing a pre-payment certificate which covers the cost of all prescriptions required for three months or a year. In 2012, these were £104 for 12 months, or £29.10 for 3 months.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
How bad is it in Florida?
I had surgery 17 days ago and the hospital gave me Tylenol and Celebrex.
WTF?! I thought they had the good stuff in the hospitals!