Exams, Exams, Exams. But....

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Hi all.

I've nearly finished the January series of exams for my A levels. Five down, two more to do.

But then after that, I have another exam - for a Foundation amateur radio licence! yay!

I'm getting so excited, I can't wait to be nattering over the airwaves. Will be good to do some (legal) experiments too. After I have the foundation, I'll try to get the intermediate asap, that way I can broadcast on equipment I made myself. :D

Anyone else here a user of amateur radio? If not, why not? :p

If so, what are your call signs? I'll try to keep an ear out. ;)

Sparky

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
What range do those sets have? On what band do they broadcast?

I 'm not that interested in neither analog circuits nor chatting that much.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I been debating getting into ham radio. Its not practicle but they have some nice equipment out and we really can't this nerd tech hobby die out since its the back up plan for a nuclear war or severe natural disaster. I'm more interested in transmitting data via ham radio then chatting. and doing stuff like that. May be one day we could get a ham radio webchat to work. We increasingly rely on phones and digital networks too much and that could one day be catastrophic. Then ham radios will be gold. Honestly the sun could put out enough radiation to fry many electornics causing our system to do down long term. We haven't had transistors and all this stuff very long in the run of things. Possible the sun puts out a solar burst 1,000,000 stronger then we normally get every 1000 years. These are things we just don't know.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I'd like to get into SSTV. It will part of my final year uni project. :D

@Geo, I'm not sure yet. I believe the max power for an intermediate licence is 50W.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I been debating getting into ham radio. Its not practicle but they have some nice equipment out and we really can't this nerd tech hobby die out since its the back up plan for a nuclear war or severe natural disaster. I'm more interested in transmitting data via ham radio then chatting. and doing stuff like that. May be one day we could get a ham radio webchat to work. We increasingly rely on phones and digital networks too much and that could one day be catastrophic. Then ham radios will be gold. Honestly the sun could put out enough radiation to fry many electornics causing our system to do down long term. We haven't had transistors and all this stuff very long in the run of things. Possible the sun puts out a solar burst 1,000,000 stronger then we normally get every 1000 years. These are things we just don't know.
Heres some proof! Wow weird how that works.
http://news.yahoo.com/space-explosion-blame-tree-ring-mystery-astronomers-205516367.html