exact positioning of laser beam based on eye movement analysis

kalaivendhan

Joined Dec 29, 2013
hi friends,this is my first post.
i'm going to do my final year project based on eye movement analysis using matlab.
i need interface a hardware material holding up laser with the matlab software and it should move also based on my head movements. can you give any suggestions for me to start and finish it well...:)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
So you want to aim a laser based on a person's eye position? (As opposed to using a laser to determine eye position, which sounds dangerous.)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Head movement could be determined by accelerometer.
I don't think that's entirely true. An accelerometer can't determine rotation in the horizontal plane (yaw, on an airplane). Motion, yes, but not absolute position. I think.

But anyway I think the OP wants to follow only the eye position, not the head position. Hard to tell.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
In his first post he states "and also based on my head movements". Hence, the accelerometer should detect movement. I agree it wouldn't detect absolute position but relative position could be tracked in software.

kalaivendhan

Joined Dec 29, 2013
our eye movement is observed by placing a camera near our eye and processing work may be done using image acquition toolbox of matlab

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I can't help with any of that, except to help define the needs.

Are you planning to hold the head fixed, so that the camera can be fixed on the pupil? If the camera must track the eyes as they move with the head, that will be a very complex assembly. Perhaps a facial recognition app can determine head position, but then you would still need to determine eye position.

And the laser; will it be mounted on a tripod or such, with 2 axes of movement? That should be a relatively easy aspect of the project.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Perhaps not eye movement, but helmet, or other head gear device can be servo'd to the laser position drivers. Then a 'bulls eye' sighting marking can be used by the wearer to position the helmet on the object that needs to be blasted by laser light. :)

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
hi friends,this is my first post.
i'm going to do my final year project based on eye movement analysis using matlab.
i need interface a hardware material holding up laser with the matlab software and it should move also based on my head movements. can you give any suggestions for me to start and finish it well...:)
Head or eyes?

Are you sure you have clear idea of what you intend to design?

kalaivendhan

Joined Dec 29, 2013
okay friends,i'm intend to my final year project in wireless or matlab based processing along with embedded...can anyone suggest me any ideas...please...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Do you believe that your proposed project meets the requirements? If your teacher is aware of that linked project, will you get credit for reverse engineering what was already done there? I think it would be a challenging project if you start with nothing, but it will be far easier (too easy?) to copy that existing project.