Ethernet logging hardware style.

mik3ca

Joined Feb 11, 2007
I want to be able to use my ethernet card and detect signals from it using LED lights, and way later on in more sophisticated SBC circuits.

I researched, and I noticed that four pins are marked TX+, TX-, RX+, and RX-.

Does it work if I leave TX- floating, RX- floating, and connecting TX+ to my input source (which for now is a button tied to +5V), and connecting RX+ to the anode of an LED and a resistor in series, and grounding the other end of the resistor? or do I have to do an analog to digital conversion?

mik3ca

Joined Feb 11, 2007
When you say that it doesn't produce a steady "ON", do you mean that I am to use the RX+ and RX- as if it were an AC signal?

all I need is a simple circuit that can convert these signals to digital signals. USB has digital signals, but I want to use ethernet because it has far greater compatibility with more systems.

Serial can provide digital output but at higher voltages.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
When you say that it doesn't produce a steady "ON", do you mean that I am to use the RX+ and RX- as if it were an AC signal?
No. I mean there is a pulse train. That's why I said "pulsing." You did read the link I provided?

all I need is a simple circuit that can convert these signals to digital signals.
They are already digital signals. You did read the link I provided?

Here's more information: http://books.google.com/books?id=Oh...ig=BXlAf_TQM_Wey7gB7DqR0ippLfY&hl=en#PPA85,M1