etching PCB's

capnray

Joined Jul 3, 2010
Last year I discovered an etchant that nearly replenishes itself, haven't tried it. It is 70% muriatic acid and 30% Hydrogen Peroxide. However storage in the first 24 hours seems to be an issue as it releases gasses. today I found a vinegar and H2O2 along with table salt solution also works. In the past I found Kepro and Chemelex etchants costly and I abhor Ferric Chloride. Etchants seem to abound, the greatest trick is getting the resist onto the board. I had wonderful success with laser transparencies in the past on photosensitive boards, however I no longer have access to a laser printer or PS boards. Has anyone had any success with the "iron on" inkjet resist? Some say it works. I purchased a "T-shirt" package today, will experiment. If it doesn't work, my bride can make and sell T-shirts to support my electronics habit.

Oh, no worry on chemicals, I was a chemistry major when USAF told me to chase electrons through wires, not chemical solutions.

capnray

Joined Jul 3, 2010
Hey that etchant sounds awesome, is it dangerous to make? proportions?
The vinegar/H2O2 recipe is 50% each, however the salt is to be added to "keep the solution fizzing". Too much salt halts the reaction. I made a tiny batch (10mL each of vinegar and H2O2) this AM, added salt and was satisfied with the etching of 22GA solid wire. I also overdosed with the salt and halted the reaction. Going to try a larger batch soon. Use normal chemical protection, safety glasses are a must, however these are normal chemicals found in the home. Disposal is controlled by local ordinances, however I estimate this to be safer than Ferric Chloride.