ESR in ceramic cap

Gibson486

Joined Jul 20, 2012
When you say good quality, I'd imagine that anything Digikey sells would fit the bill as long as it is from reputable manufacturer?

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Any ceramic cap has an ESR of WAYYYY less than 0.5 Ohms (by many orders of magnitude). The 0.5 Ohm value is in the range of where tantalums and aluminum electrolytics are, hence the warning.

The big problem with ceramics is to be sure to NEVER use any ceramic with a Z5U, Y5F or Y5V types because the actual capacitance will probably be about 1/5 of the specified value. X7R is the type to use.

The data sheet reflects this as well:

When using MLCC capacitors X7R dielectric is recommended.
Do not use Y5V dielectrics.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
The big problem with ceramics is to be sure to NEVER use any ceramic with a Z5U, Y5F or Y5V types because the actual capacitance will probably be about 1/5 of the specified value. X7R is the type to use.
Can you please provide more information on this?

I have used capacitance meters for years, and have never came across a healthy cap that had 1/5 of its marked value.

Maybe I misunderstood the context of your point?

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Can you please provide more information on this?

I have used capacitance meters for years, and have never came across a healthy cap that had 1/5 of its marked value.

Maybe I misunderstood the context of your point?
The point is: for example, buy a 10uF/25V Z5U capacitor and operate in circuit with 25V (rating) applied to it and you will get about 2uF. See attached plot which is typical. It is for a 50V cap but same principle applies as a percentage of rated voltage applied. If the rated voltage is applied, you get 20% of rated capacitance.

They also have terrible capacitance loss with temp change.

As I have said in a number of app notes: Z5U and Y5V caps are a scam, they do not deliver rated specs. They should NEVER be used.

X5R and X7R exhibit very little change with applied voltage or temperature change.

Attachments

Last edited:

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
As I have said in a number of app notes: Z5U and Y5V caps are a scam, they do not deliver rated specs. They should NEVER be used.
I was going to say something to the effect of, "if the engineer is any good at his job he can save some money by compensating for the variability." But after doing the math on the following parts... you'd save a mind blowing $10k after 1M units. That wouldn't be worth the time at all. You'd probably have to be using 2.5M units to make it worth the engineers time.

There are probably some lesser quality brands that you could save more money with... but then the parts gets even more questionable.

Well, you've convinced me.

http://www.digikey.com/product-sear...=C1206C103M5UACTU-ND&part=C1206S103M5RACTU-ND

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
The point is: for example, buy a 10uF/25V Z5U capacitor and operate in circuit with 25V (rating) applied to it and you will get about 2uF. See attached plot which is typical. It is for a 50V cap but same principle applies as a percentage of rated voltage applied. If the rated voltage is applied, you get 20% of rated capacitance.

They also have terrible capacitance loss with temp change.

X5R and X7R exhibit very little change with applied voltage or temperature change.
Is there a way to tell their rating by looking at them?

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I was going to say something to the effect of, "if the engineer is any good at his job he can save some money by compensating for the variability." But after doing the math on the following parts... you'd save a mind blowing $10k after 1M units. That wouldn't be worth the time at all. You'd probably have to be using 2.5M units to make it worth the engineers time.

There are probably some lesser quality brands that you could save more money with... but then the parts gets even more questionable.

Well, you've convinced me.
Problem is, Z5U/Y5F caps don't save money, they are a scam designed to rip off people who don't understand the specs. They are a lot cheaper than X5R/X7R caps for a simple reason: they don't deliver the same capacitance, they are over rated. If you buy enough of a Z5U to deliver the same amount of capacitance as an equivalent X7R (in circuit with voltage applied), they actually cost more.

So the circuit design engineer puts a 10uF/10V cap in the circuit. It gets released to production and turned over to purchasing. They buy the cheapest part that LOOKS like it meets the spec of 10uF/10V (which is Z5U)..... not knowing that Z5U 10uF/10V cap will give about 3uF because it has 7V applied to it.

It's my pet peeve because our LDO regulators had a minimum output capacitance required for stability. We would spec it (like 4.7uF) and cheap morons would buy a Z5U 4.7uF cap and it would give maybe 2uF of capacitance and the regulator would oscillate because the min capacitance was not there and they would yell at us for "defective products". I couldn't count the times that happened.

And I had to fight our marketing idiots too. They got mad when I put in the data sheets for our regs that X5R and X7R were REQUIRED for stability. They were afraid customers would be upset because they cost a couple of cents more.....

anyway, Z5U and Y5V caps are like an electronics IQ test..... if you buy them, you flunked. They are a scam.

Last edited:

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Any ceramic cap has an ESR of WAYYYY less than 0.5 Ohms (by many orders of magnitude). The 0.5 Ohm value is in the range of where tantalums and aluminum electrolytics are, hence the warning.

The data sheet reflects this as well:
Can you also explain why static test of capacitance reads normal. The test, must be at a low voltage.

Or are you talking ESR or high frequency?
Thanks

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Correct. At low bias voltage, you get full capacitance.
What is consider a "low" bias voltage?

Using bias voltage in this context, does it mean bias across the cap?

I mainly use caps for decoupling caps so at worse I am dealing with 5V. Need I be concerned about the dielectric type? But what about caps used in higher frequencies? Say in load capacitors for a crystal? Need I be concerned?

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
What is consider a "low" bias voltage?
If using Z5U or Y5F, low means 30% or less of the rated cap working voltage to prevent severe loss of capacitance as shown on curves posted above.

If it's a 10V cap, 3V or less.

I mainly use caps for decoupling caps so at worse I am dealing with 5V. Need I be concerned about the dielectric type?
yes, if you use a 6V rated Z5U cap listed at 10uF, with 5V on it you will get maybe 2 or 3 uF.

Hence my advice not to use those types of caps, stick with X5R and X7R. Or if you have to use Z5U, get a 25V rated cap for use in 5V application to keep from losing so much capacitance.