Esaki Effect LED Flasher

so54i88

Joined Sep 23, 2010
Hello all...I've been experimenting with different simple led flasher circuits with minimum number of components. I like the effect achieved by Easki circuit but it requires 12v or more. Can someone enlighten me what this is the case? Ideally, I'd like to use a 3-6v power source. Can someone help me please? Thank you in advance.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Like the man said in the video, it absolutey, positively, must be (at least) 12 volts because you are depending on the reverse breakdown voltage of the base-emitter junction. They often require 7 to 9 volts to break down like a zener diode.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
And on top of the 7 to 9v to break down the PN junction, you need a few more volts for the LED and the voltage drop across the resistors in the circuit.

You would need to build a boost converter circuit to run it from lower than 12v, but that defeats the point.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I would like to correct myself...

I remember that there is a certain part number of transistor that is sorted for less than 6 volts reverse breakdown, but I can't remember the part number. Still, even with a transistor that is sorted for low breakdown voltage, add the LED voltage and base to collector junction, you could maybe, just barely do it with 9 volts...maybe.