Error "could not find space (200 bytes) for auto/param block"

ecaits

Joined Jan 6, 2014
Dear All,

When I compile the program at that time I am getting error like...

Error [1253] double.c; 55. could not find space (200 bytes) for auto/param block
Error [1253] C:\Users\NV49C10I\Desktop\Try Code\try.c; 39. could not find space (200 bytes) for auto/param block

********** Build failed! **********

Which type of error is this and why it generate????

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Looks like the output from some C compiler for some unknown computer.

I would imagine the issue is you are out of memory space for the task you are trying to perform.

With so little information supplied I can not suggest anything to try.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
LMGTFY:
HiTechC FAQ 791
HiTech Forum

As ErnieM says, one possibility is that you are flat out of memory.

Another more or less known issue is that HiTech is sensitive to the banking inherent in 8-bit PICs. Even if you have lots of memory available, if you use more than 256 bytes in one source file you can run into trouble since the compiler uses direct addressing (banked) as a default. All the declarations in one .C file have to fit into one bank.

The exception is if you use it all at once (a big array of structures for example). when that's the case, the compiler will allocate the RAM in 'bigbss' which uses the FSR to access RAM. This issue is described in the FAQs as well.

Interesting that the offending filename and line number is the same as that in the forum post.

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
The best thing is to show us your code. It could be that you can save some memory by putting constants in ROM as one example