equilaterial triangular coil self capacitance

pafrazier

Joined Jun 4, 2011
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to calculate self capacitance of an equilateral triangle coil? Or an online calculator that could do that. It would only need to do one turn. There are online calculators for inductance, but could not locate anything for capacitance.

I posted in another catagory as well. New to forum.

Thanks

pafrazier

Joined Jun 4, 2011
Hi,

Thanks for responding. I am experimenting with different geometric coils. To see what happens when a charge is applied.

Thanks

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Coilcraft makes "square" coils rather than round and gets much better ratings than a typical round wound... Not to mention smaller footprint.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Isn't the capacitance more a factor of the insulation of the coil wire than the coil itself, and whatever shape it may have? I mean, would an uninsulated triangle of wire have any relevant capacitance?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
"Isn't the capacitance more a factor of the insulation of the coil wire than the coil itself, and whatever shape it may have?"

When closely wound, the insulation is very important. When "loosely" wound, such as with basketweave winding, insulation plays a smaller role.

"...I mean, would an uninsulated triangle of wire have any relevant capacitance"

That depends on the operative definition of "relevant". If for example, you were to use a single triangular turn of uninsulated wire at 10 cm per side, you would find that is resonates (the inductance and its own capacitance) at some hundreds of MHz.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
So, where is the charge stored? Would the capacitance remain in a vacuum (meaning the charge is stored within the conductor itself)?

pafrazier

Joined Jun 4, 2011
Hi,

I am still trying to calc the self cap for equilateral triangle. Thanks Kermit2 for that link. It is over my head. I am a novice.

Dick have been calc come triangles knowing the resistance and inductance and imputing some cap values and am getting rf in 100's of khz. I am trying to get to the self capactance of the triangle itself.

Thanks for all your input any more ideas on calc self capacitance?

Thanks