equaliser to PC

simontheng

Joined May 12, 2011
Hi all, i was stucked at this stage.

receiving audio after ADC then show it as a real time equaliser to a desktop gui.

how should i go about it?

thanks for the help :)

DumboFixer

Joined Feb 10, 2009
I imagine that you'll have to get the data into the PC if its from an external source (via USB?), then you'll need to process the data to split it into its various frequencies, then you'll need to write an application to display the data in a GUI.

You'll need to provide more detail if you want a realistic chance of getting help.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Most PCs to day have an onboard ADC and DAC. And that is the sound card.
Also remember that good questions draw good answers. Try rephrasing your question. So we have a better understanding of what you have done so far, and why and how you struggle

simontheng

Joined May 12, 2011
yep i already have ADC & DAC on board on my PCB.
using rs232 to transfer the data to PC.

i have 8 different frequencies assigned. So am i right to say that, inputs have to be matched(how?) and if matched, the signals are travelled via rs232 and it will reflect on the desktop gui.

erm..... i'm clueless. Pardon me if you don't understand it :confused:

simontheng

Joined May 12, 2011
Sorry I do not understand still. Can you draw a schematic describing what you are trying to do. Or perhaps just post the assignment description.
Hi thanks for attempting to answer it.

Basically i'm building a audio spectral analyser, it must be capable to pick up the tones and transmit via rs232 to the PC. The desktop GUI must show the real time equaliser. i have been looking on youtubes, they are capable to show it on the LCD itself.

But that's not 1 want, i wanted to show it on the PC :) or is it the same approach?

Laz Baz

Joined May 29, 2011
Most PCs to day have an onboard ADC and DAC. And that is the sound card.
Also remember that good questions draw good answers. Try rephrasing your question. So we have a better understanding of what you have done so far, and why and how you struggle
Since DACs are mentionedhere, I would like to ask:
1. I am not satisfied with the playback of a music track ripped to FLAC (stored on an external HD) from a CD. The EHD is connected to my AV receiver via the USB input and the FLAC file is played. It sound inferior to the original CD track-it should not as the lossless data is exactly the same as the CD data. Where is the conversion degrading the quality?
William