Enquiries on the SMBus and SMART batteries interfacing

CircuitsExplorer

Joined Oct 6, 2008
Dear friends,

May I know the following regarding Li-Ion SMART batteries using the SMbus protocol:

- may I know how do I connect at least 3 Li-Ion batteries onto the SMBus line of SDA and SCl pins?
- the 3 Li-Ion batteries have the SDA and SCL pins each. Do I directly connect all the SDA pins to one point and all the SCL pins to one point and then connect the common point for SDA directly to my SDA pin and SCL common point directly to my SCL pin on my MSM945 CPU board respectively?

- if a kind of SMART batteries selector interface is required, can any kind soul out there give me some recommendation? The SMART Li-Ion battery is of the following capacity each (24V at 7.2Ah). I am using at least 2 to 3 of such batteries. Anyone can show me some light on this.

Thanks a million and best regards

Yours sincerely,
CircuitsExplorer

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
That MB must be of a desktop right?? And where did u find those pins on the board?? Does your board support using such cells?? If it doesn't, you might only be able to power the board but not recharge the batteries.. I have only seen SMBus circuits enabling us to connect thermal fan speed regulator circuits so that the fan speed can be monitored by the bios

CircuitsExplorer

Joined Oct 6, 2008
That MB is actually from the digital logic MSM945. If you refer to their datasheet on MSM945, on section with regards to headers named X102 (PCI/104 express bus), they have this 2 pins, pin 44 and 46 namely "SMB_DAT" and "SMB_CLK" respectively. So I was wondering if I can use these 2 pins to track the SMART Li-Ion batteries with the SMART SMBus feature that I am going to get.

Therefore, could anyone show me some light on this with regards to monitoring the batteries' capacity through the SMBus? Any examples?

Thanks and best regards,
CircuitsExplorer