ENERGY SAVING DEVICE

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
Hi Guys, :)

I have heard of many energy saving devices available commercially, which when connected in parallel with the household mains, cause reduction in electricity bills. In smaller sizes they can be connected in parallel with any household power receptacle and cause reduction in energy consumption in any electrical appliance connected to that power receptacle.

Can someone please provide me with any information on the working principle of such a device, since I fail to understand how can any device connected in parallel with an electrical system, load or appliance cause a reduction in energy consumption in that load or system ? I would be very grateful.

Thanks & Regards,
Shahvir

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Some companies advertise an expensive capacitor which improves the power factor if you have inductive appliances. It saves money for industry and for the electrical utility company. It doesn't save you anything at home.
Your electrical billing meter ignores the power factor but industrial customers are billed for the extra power caused by a poor power factor.

Last edited by a moderator:

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
Some companies advertise an expensive capacitor which improves the power factor if you have inductive appliances. It saves money for industry and for the electrical utility company. It doesn't save you anything at home.
Your electrical billing meter ignores the power factor but industrial customers are billed for the extra power caused by a poor power factor.
Dear Audioguru,

Thanks for your reply. You are correct, but i have heard of energy saving gadgets which claim to reduce electricity bills for residences.
Please comment on the same.

Kind Regards,
Shahvir

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
I too have heard of one, that they say works. And they claim that there is real scientific proof that it does reduce energy consumption at the residential level......a light switch. :D

ken

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I too have heard of one, that they say works. And they claim that there is real scientific proof that it does reduce energy consumption at the residential level......a light switch. :D

ken
Of course they say the capacitor works. They are Chinese and nobody will go to China to sue them. Maybe in China homes are billed extra for a poor power factor but not here.
They sell millions of the overpriced useless things.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Of course they say the capacitor works. They are Chinese and nobody will go to China to sue them. Maybe in China homes are billed extra for a poor power factor but not here.
They sell millions of the overpriced useless things.
You might want to check that. Overpriced useless things are not confined to one locale. I've had tat from Canada, just as you have had tat from the UK. Where it is from is immaterial irrespective of what your experience or opinions may be.

Dave

italo

Joined Nov 20, 2005
Sure there devices and are these and cost effective to us the consumers. The biggest saving comes about from LED devices a 45 watt lamp can ben made to run on just 3.5 watts. Depends where you live the savings per lamp can be around $100 per lamp [if continuosly on] my walk away is all LEDS was MALIBU 80W now is my own design 98% savings in utility i don't even bother to shut them off. If you install solar LEDS with batteries then the cost of yearly replacement of battery is not cost effective and bothersome. there are also gimmicks to rob you of $$$. Computers are the worst offenders in power factor. Some body once estimated that if all PC gets turn on at the same instance we will loose the grid because of the instantaneous inrush of current.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Working principle:

"There's a Sucker Born Every Minute" P. T. Barnum

Sorry.
Most likely the correct answer.

One could legitimately add capacitors in this manner and improve the power factor, but you'd have to know what your power factor is in the first place....and at best it would only be a guess for a "plug and play" unit.

eric

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
:) Thanks Eric, but i have encountered credible people (colleagues) claiming that they have saved up on their electricity bills due to these devices!

I have never verified their claims nor have any proof whether these so called 'energy saving devices' really produce the desired results.

Kind Regards,
Shahvir

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Take this live demonstration.

AC input is connected to a watt hour meter and then to two AC sockets in parallel.

The watt hour meter does not rotate when the two socket is empty. The guy then plug an electric kettle into the first socket, switch it ON and the watt hour meter rotates at about a revolution a second.

He then plugs the energy saving "device" into another socket and the watt hour meter then slow down considerably to several seconds per revolution. The rev speeds up and return to original if he then remove the "device".

This is under the watchful eyes of the people gathered to see the demonstration.

If you are among one of those people watching, will you be convinced?

Last edited:

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
:) Dear Chung,

Your reply is credible no doubt, but if the rev does slow down/speed up when the device is connected/disconnected from the socket, then i would try to find out what makes it tick!

I too am sceptical about such devices but am trying to gain more info thru this thread.

Kind Regards,
Shahvir