Energy Saving circuit for electronics components

lofa83

Joined Dec 20, 2011
Hi,
Am new to the forum and looking for help in designing an energy saving devices for electronics components (dvd players, television, sky boxes etc), the device should be able to turn-off the components when they are in satndby mode thereby saving energy.
THANKS

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
connect a generator to a treadmill, and plug the devices into the generator. then whoever wants to watch TV has to exercise to earn the right of entertainment. this removes ALL power drawn from the grid, and promotes good health.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Hi,
Am new to the forum and looking for help in designing an energy saving devices for electronics components (dvd players, television, sky boxes etc), the device should be able to turn-off the components when they are in satndby mode thereby saving energy.
THANKS
What are you thinking as a royalty scheme?
THANKS

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Hi,
THANKS
In fact, these consumer product already consume less energy when on standby. You want them to use still less energy? Is this a circuit you want to incorporate in to the device or shall it be an external one cutting the power to them? How are they going to be switched on and off? via a special remote control ? Or the one you have?

You need to give much more details.

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
But...
Don't forget that many times convenience trumps power savings.
It needs to connect conveniently,
normal operation needs to be restored conveniently,
it needs to be bypassed conveniently,
it needs to save enough energy to compensate for the inconvenience,

How much evergy will you in fact save turning a DVD player from standby to off?
How much power will your 'power saving' device consume in order to prevent some other device from using power?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Most new devices use only enough power (1W max.) to keep the remote control receiver active in the standby mode and its unlikely many people would want to lose the convenience of keeping the remote active to save that small amount of power.

Other devices such as cable and satellite boxes require power to maintain operation, especially those with a DVR, even when not being used. I believe there is a requirement to reduce the operating power of those devices in the future.

It's difficult to get people to save power. Look at how many keep their computer on at all times just to avoid having to wait for it to boot when they want to use it. I've read estimates of around 50%. I put mine in the hibernate mode, which uses no power but stores all status data on disc at shutdown. This allows a fairly fast startup with all screen and program data exactly as you left it, but many are not aware of that mode or don't bother to use it.

K7GUH

Joined Jan 28, 2011
Save yourself and the rest of the universe a lot of grief. Use the switch as suggested above. I refer you to the principle known as Occam's Razor.