energy conversion

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Are there any other efficient conversion principles to convert electricity into kinetic energy other than the one based on magnetism (motors)?

Thanks

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I suppose you could make an electric bottle rocket. Heat up the fluid with a battery and a nichrome wire, release the latch and have the hot gas/fluid expelled from the container.

Oh....you meant a useful conversion of electricity to kinetic energy.

davebee

Joined Oct 22, 2008
Motors have been made that convert electrical energy into kinetic energy using the electric force rather than magnetic force; so-called static electric motors.

They are not inefficient, as far as I know, but the technology for managing extremely high voltages has never been advanced enough to make these motors practical. I have read that they may be useful in nanomachines, though.

You could use the electric current to perform an electrolytic action, whereby you break down the product(s) of an oxidation process, capture them, then rapidly oxidize the products of this electrolytic process in a directional chamber. This is thought not to be very efficient, but it will work.

(like 2H2 and O2 make 2H2O when oxidized, while an electrolytic cell will take 2H2O and break it down into a gas of 2H2 and O2)

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
But the heat produced can be used to cause mechanical motion? Ie steam engine, thermal expnasion, bimetallic strip etc.