End of VCR what other device to record

mrel

Joined Jan 20, 2009
Hello
Since VCR are no longer been manufacture ,is there a device that replace the vcr that have event timer,composite input front and back and output.
Using memory stick or SD card to save recorded information.

mrel

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hello
Since VCR are no longer been manufacture ,is there a device that replace the vcr that have event timer,composite input front and back and output.

mrel
If this is not a lead-in to a spam ad, fyi I have an ADS DVD Xpress that I use to record video tapes to a hard drive.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hello

mrel
One of the requirements around here is that you take the time to present your issue with as many details as possible (but not so many it overwhelms the post ;))

Exactly what are you trying to record from where?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Hello

mrel
If I had to do this right now, digitize analog input onto an SD card, I'd probably use an older video camera that can accept composite input and record to the SD card. But there are many, many ways to get analog video into digital form. You need to supply more details.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
My TV receiver has two bidirectional USB ports to record or play on a thumb drive (perhaps copy too) at HDMI. I have not tried connecting a hard drive instead.

Not a common receiver (X2 SAT) but maaany similar ones should have the same.

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
There are plenty of used VCRs; buy several while you still can...
Yup, I've got at least 3 in the house that work as well as ever. Lots of tape, too. Never use them. I can't imagine any fate for them but the recycle bin.

I'm trying to sell my vintage computers on e-bay. I've actually gotten a bid on one and others have watchers. We'll see. The older ones seem to draw more interest. I doubt a VCR is worth enough to anyone to justify the shipping cost.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hello

mrel
One popular route is a DVD recorder and a supply of DVD-RW disks - you can burn to cheaper DVD-R when you're sure you won't want to erase that movie.

There's at least 4 popular video formats that will sit quite happily on a HDD, Freemake is a good option for burning them to DVD.

You can get most things off the FTP servers - Napalm FTP finds it, Filezilla downloads it and Freemake burns it.

One manufacturer has only just ceased VCR production, they couldn't get the parts anymore - they may still be obsolescent as opposed to obsolete.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
USB TV tuner. $17 at Walmart.

I bought a USB tuner - the software that came with it was a total mess.

An internal card would probably be better.

I'd go for a DVB-T PVR for timed recordings off air, its cheaper to leave running than a PC. There are various video capture devices available that connect with RCA jacks or SCART to a VCR or PVR. Once the video file is on the PC, its easy to burn to a DVD.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Could just go to the TV stations web site and stream the shows as they are broadcast and record them that way or if the station provides for it just watch them from their site any time.

Personally I just don't see the reason for recording any over the air/cable broadcast show anymore being if it has ever been broadcast in either public broadcast media it can be found and watched/recorded for free online at any time from anywhere.

To me the whole want to record shows when they are broadcast is about as relevant as wanting to continue to own and ride a horse to get where you're going even though you have unlimited free bus service literally at your front door.

Name a over the air broadcast show/series/movie/other and I would bet that someone can find it for free on line to either watch or download in its entirety within seconds. :rolleyes:

I just downloaded 'Suicide Squad' in 1080 HD and watched that last night and the same with 'Dr Strange' earlier in the week and I am up to the middle of season 4 of 'Arrow' now too. All found online and downloaded for free. :cool: