encoder 4bit 2 hex

GALAS

Joined Jan 8, 2007
hi mates , i am new here and i have a little questions ...

i want to make on breadboard a logic circuit which shows on a 7 segment display
the hexademic. and the hexademic will be gived with BCD and Dip-switcth.. And it will be done with help off multiplects and -demu..

i search it and ,i think that i will use 74ls47 , but this will show me from 0 to 7 , the others 9,10,a,b,c d,e,f?
Edit/Delete Message

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

The 74LS47 is a BCD-to-7 segment driver. It will drive a display to show the numerals 0 to 9. Even if the ic could accept the full hexidecimal input of 0 to 15, the display is not made to show A, B, C, D, E or F. You can get liquid crystal displays that will show alphanumeric characters, but they need to be driven by much more elaborate circuitry.

You mention that you're giving a BCD input - why are you trying to show values beyond 9? Binary coded decimal implies only values of 0 - 9.

GALAS

Joined Jan 8, 2007
Hi,

The 74LS47 is a BCD-to-7 segment driver. It will drive a display to show the numerals 0 to 9. Even if the ic could accept the full hexidecimal input of 0 to 15, the display is not made to show A, B, C, D, E or F. You can get liquid crystal displays that will show alphanumeric characters, but they need to be driven by much more elaborate circuitry.

You mention that you're giving a BCD input - why are you trying to show values beyond 9? Binary coded decimal implies only values of 0 - 9.
The point is that i want to show me A,B,C,D e.t.c .. and i want an idea to do that ...

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

That's like wanting a Toyota to compete in a drag race. The 7447 is built to drive a seven segment display, which can only show the numerals 0 through 9.

There are alphanumeric displays - Luminex makes several - that will show letters and numerals.

GALAS

Joined Jan 8, 2007
Hi,

That's like wanting a Toyota to compete in a drag race. The 7447 is built to drive a seven segment display, which can only show the numerals 0 through 9.

There are alphanumeric displays - Luminex makes several - that will show letters and numerals.
there'isn't an another way to show A,BC with 7447 ?with buffer ?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

Please get the data sheet for a 7447 and see how it works. It does have outputs beyond 9, but nothing that will display a - f. Look at the data sheet for an alphanumeric display. It may suggest the driver to let it dosplay 0 - 9 and a - f.