Enable FM Radio in Galaxy Mega 6.3 I527M

idoit

Joined Oct 20, 2015
Hello all, A newcomer here. :)

I have a Galaxy Mega 6.3 I527M Smartphone (Android). Its specifications are very similar to Galaxy S4 mini smartphone which indeed was release about same time. Former lacks FM Radio whereas the latter has stock FM radio. From what I have read online, chipsets used are same in both and that Samsung may have disabled it deliberately (on hardware level). I was wondering if anyone has some experience dealing with similar projects?

I have attached picture from logic board of both phones. From left, first and second ones are for Mega and third one is for S4 mini.

I have to say I have almost none electronic knowledge but I am willing to experience and learn.

Thanks

Attachments

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
You've taken it apart!

Any 'disabling' would likely not be in hardware. My guess is it would normally be done as part of a (software) kernel setting. You'd probably have to root the device and install a custom kernel.

FYI, I've got a Samsung S5 and the FM radio works fine using the nextradio app. Earbuds need to be attached -- it uses the wire as an antenna.

idoit

Joined Oct 20, 2015
Thanks Joey :)
Yes. My Mega is rooted and given I am only interested in FM radio (as opposed to internet radio), I have tried the following no dice so far:
- Sprit1 FM and Spirit2 FM apps
- NextRadio says it's not supported on my phone/carrier

That was why I suspected Samsung has blocked it by not connecting some stuff on the PCB. Both S4 mini and Mega use same Qualcomm chipset which seeming has FM!!!

idoit

Joined Oct 20, 2015
Hey! Who edited my post? I thought it was clever.
I have no idea!
Looking at list of supported devices for NextRadio, I can see your phone... But not Mega. Nonetheless, NextRadio is mainly useful in USA I guess? Not in Canada.

I hope someone who is good with electronics can point me in right direction.