Emitter resistor

alphacat

Joined Jun 6, 2009
Hi guys.

In a CE amplifier, with the below configuration, how does the emitter resistor effect the output voltage swing range?

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
The allowable swing is between Vcc and Ve with Vc being the axis of symmetry through which the signal voltage swings. It's like a window. You set the size of this window by Vcc, and your choice of Vc and Ve.

For a given design the maximum swing will be either 2*Vce or 2*IcRc whichever is smaller.

Attachments

alphacat

Joined Jun 6, 2009
Hi.
Thank you both!

What makes it hard for me to understand it is that VBE must stay equal to ~0.65V to be turned on.
so if IC changes, VE (emitter voltage) changes as well, but since VB remains constant, then VBE might go below 0.65V and get the BJT into cut-off or go higher than 0.65V and burn the BE diode.

hobbyist

Joined Aug 10, 2008
Remember IC can only change with respect to a change in IB, which is goverened by VB.

Note: as long as IC is temperature stable, which is the reason for using RE.

jlcstrat

Joined Jun 19, 2009
I'm a student myself, but I believe VE=VB-.6 VRE=IC*RE . The voltage on the emitter resistor doesn't affect the bias of the base to emitter junction in a CE amplifier.

The Electrician

Joined Oct 9, 2007
You get max output voltage swing if you pick Ic equal

\(Ic_{opt}=\frac{Vcc-Vce(sat)}{2(Rc+Re)}\)

what gives Vce≈0.5*Vcc
Jony130, do you remember (can you provide a link) to an earlier post about biasing where you provided the expression for the case where part of the emitter resistance is bypassed with a capacitor?

alphacat

Joined Jun 6, 2009
Hi guys,
Thanks a lot, i got it now.

Is it correct to say that:
VOUT(min) = VEE + IC*RE + VCE(SAT)
VOUT(max) = VCC
?
So to get maximal output voltage swing, i'd want to set VOUT at half way between VOUT(min) and VOUT(max).

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
The minimum voltage occurs when BJt is start to saturation.
And the max. when is start to cut-off

Vcc = 12V; Vc = 6V (red plot ); Ve = 2V (green plot) ; Vin = 1pV (blue plot).

Jony130, do you remember (can you provide a link) to an earlier post about biasing where you provided the expression for the case where part of the emitter resistance is bypassed with a capacitor?
Yes,
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=25586&highlight=swing&page=18 (post 174, 176 )

hobbyist

Joined Aug 10, 2008
Hi guys,
Thanks a lot, i got it now.

Is it correct to say that:
VOUT(min) = VEE + IC*RE + VCE(SAT)
VOUT(max) = VCC
?
So to get maximal output voltage swing, i'd want to set VOUT at half way between VOUT(min) and VOUT(max).

In theory YES.

But the transistor would have to be at total cutoff to get maximum Vout at VCC.

But your then running out of the lineararity of the transistor, in the cutoff and saturation reagions, it is best to know your Vout swing, and provide a VCC thast is about 20% greater to acomodate the needed Vout.