Embedded Systems Course

ActivePower

Joined Mar 15, 2012
Hello,

I am a bit late on this but there is a (free) Embedded Systems Design course going on on edX (MIT & Harvard's MOOC venture) by UT Austin. I've watched a couple of lectures so far and it is they indeed cover the basics of design pretty well. Seems to be an excellent resource for beginners of the craft like me.

Just wanted to put it out there. Hop on if you like! (You'd need to register with your email though).

Edit: On second thought, I should probably have posted this in the 'Electronics Resources' forum. Well, I guess I'll leave it to a moderator to decide.

Last edited:

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Looks like you missed both my and ErnieM's posts on this. ;)

I've been halfheartedly doing the course material and have found it as a fairly informative resource for people unfamiliar with microcontrollers.

There are a few issues I take with their matter-of-fact teaching , occasionally glossing over pretty complex problems and oversimplifying others (I understand why they did it, but I'd prefer a disclaimer that says this isn't the whole picture).

That said, it is a good resource to get into microcontrollers with.

ActivePower

Joined Mar 15, 2012
@tshuck: Looks like I probably did :) I kept receiving mails about the course as I was signed up on edX for other courses and I decided to give it a shot a couple of days back.
For me, their approach to the course was a fairly welcome departure from the almost-theory 8051 course we were taught in college. For one, I liked their choice of using a Cortex-M for the course. I've only managed to watch the first couple of lectures so far - skipping through them for most part.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Yeah, I'm glad they are using ARM for the class. I probably would bother otherwise as I'm mainly talking it as an introduction to ARM processors...