Elon Musk and $8 twitter account.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Now Elon is threatening to make his own Phone OS and App Store if Apple and Google ban Twotter from theor App Store after he reinstates banned users on Twitter and leans toward turning Twitter into an unmoderated hellscape.
AC5B6285-7F0D-4401-A967-DDF4776A7B48.jpeg

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Now Elon is threatening to make his own Phone OS and App Store if Apple and Google ban Twotter from theor App Store after he reinstates banned users on Twitter and leans toward turning Twitter into an unmoderated hellscape.
View attachment 281545
Good luck with that. How many people are willing to give up their smartphone or buy another one, just for Twitter???

Twitter has 392M users currently. 10% of users make 92% of all tweets. Say 39M users would buy a Twitterphone. Compare that to 1.2B iPhone users and 2.7B Android users (for more than a total of 3.9B smartphone users), the marketplace is less than 0.1% of existing smartphone sales.

IMHO, he is throwing good money after bad.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
IMHO, he is throwing good money after bad.
He has been doing that for a while lately. He has confused Twitters Customers (advertisers) with Twitters product (tweets created by volunteers ("users" or "twits")). He also doesn't realize that a product quality department (curators) are needed to keep customers happy.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Fair point. But I can't help but notice that (seemingly) tweeter's activity right now is abuzz, alive and well, and there are no symptoms of its prophesied demise.
Umm, 50 of the top 100 advertisers left but they don't pay the bills, right? It's all tweets that pay the bills. By the way, my nephew just tweeted that he is at the mall this afternoon with his two kids and he had to change a diaper. Gold, just gold. Elon will double his money in just a few weeks.

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
Dogecoin stock rose after Musk tweeted "One word - Doge". The ID verification is a campaign to get views and clicks just like many other of his masked schemes. Look at the publicity generated from the current non-sense. Many companies stand to gain more from publicity than failed campaigns. I don't know much about computer science but a price tag to verify your identity on a toilet bowl website is an absolute farce to me.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Fair point. But I can't help but notice that (seemingly) tweeter's activity right now is abuzz, alive and well, and there are no symptoms of its prophesied demise.
So is your seemingly assessment of activity based on numbers or is it apocryphal. In my world, everyone in my Facebook friends have closed their accounts.

In a thread (possibly on Facebook), I ran the numbers estimating Musk’s potential audience for his Twitterphone. The high end was 40M versus iOS and Androids 4B market share.

Twitter would suffer from a much smaller defection rate than Facebook.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
So is your seemingly assessment of activity based on numbers or is it apocryphal. In my world, everyone in my Facebook friends have closed their accounts.

In a thread (possibly on Facebook), I ran the numbers estimating Musk’s potential audience for his Twitterphone. The high end was 40M versus iOS and Androids 4B market share.

Twitter would suffer from a much smaller defection rate than Facebook.
The boredom factor with all manner of social media seems to be pervasive. Could this portend a wider trend?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I ran the numbers estimating Musk’s potential audience for his Twitterphone. The high end was 40M versus iOS and Androids 4B market share.
I have to admit, making a Tesla phone (or whatever) does indeed seem like a stupid idea... then again, I'm not a billionaire visionary with almost endless funds to pursue any stupid idea that comes to mind.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I have to admit, making a Tesla phone (or whatever) does indeed seem like a stupid idea... then again, I'm not a billionaire visionary with almost endless funds to pursue any stupid idea that comes to mind.
I'm down to AAC and an occasional dalliance at ETO. Going to ask Santa for some good books this year. Ho-hum...
ETA: Occasional posts to NYTimes and WAPO articles under another alias.

Last edited:

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I'm down to AAC and an occasional dalliance at ETO. Going to ask Santa for some good books this year. Ho-hum...
I recommend a Kindle Paperwhite. Amazing how easily it can be handled in bed, traveling or in a waiting room. The battery lasts for weeks between charges. It doesn't get any heavier with dozens of 400 page books loaded.

also, your kids won't have to dump hundreds of pounds of books when it's all over.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I recommend a Kindle Paperwhite. Amazing how easily it can be handled in bed, traveling or in a waiting room. The battery lasts for weeks between charges. It doesn't get any heavier with dozens of 400 page books loaded.
I've had one for years and years ... it's the gadget I use the most after my desktop

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
The boredom factor with all manner of social media seems to be pervasive. Could this portend a wider trend?
I believe the coming trend to be controlled media where the "sheep" think they are still capable of free speech and action. In my opinion, the freedom of information has enabled many people to improves their lives at the literal expense of corporate giants.

Everywhere I go now, it is as if the top 5 social media platforms are where most of the "worlds" discussion is taking place. Those who control these systems are in an position of power to influence and silence at will. It is the new age of institutional control. Those who choose not to participate in social media are then at a political disadvantage because every major political figure and corporation has a significant profile on most of these sites. Naturally they will largely cater to their highest grossing target audience and society will be lured into farce political issues that are what the astute see happening every day as people bicker from their keyboards.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I believe the coming trend to be controlled media where the "sheep" think they are still capable of free speech and action. In my opinion, the freedom of information has enabled many people to improves their lives at the literal expense of corporate giants.

Everywhere I go now, it is as if the top 5 social media platforms are where most of the "worlds" discussion is taking place. Those who control these systems are in an position of power to influence and silence at will. It is the new age of institutional control. Those who choose not to participate in social media are then at a political disadvantage because every major political figure and corporation has a significant profile on most of these sites. Naturally they will largely cater to their highest grossing target audience and society will be lured into farce political issues that are what the astute see happening every day as people bicker from their keyboards.
Right on man, sheep, and other.