Electronics theory?

curry87

Joined May 30, 2010
How much of electronics in general is ac and how much is dc ?

Is electronics all about math and analysis rather than practical ability?

To understand and design electronic circuits what mathematical abilities are required ?

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
How much of electronics in general is ac and how much is dc ?
They co exsist.
Is electronics all about math and analysis rather than practical ability?
The former is an attempt to describe the latter.
To understand and design electronic circuits what mathematical abilities are required ?
All of them, however, there are many tools such as computers and calculators that take some of the load off the human brain.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Good day, curry87.
It is very difficult to determine exactly how much of electronics is AC and DC. For the most part (and this may be argued), electricity in its natural state is DC--That is, you have a difference in voltage potential (+ and -). When you have a conductor between both sides, the electrons in the conductor flow from negative to positive. This basic theory had been known for a hundred years before Nikola Tesla came and invented the alternating-current generator. The idea of alternating current existed previously, but nobody knew how it could be generated or used. When Tesla introduced his generator, the world was introduced to artificial AC. Since then, we have used AC for household power because of its safety and reliability. Therefore, it is rather impossible to determine exactly how much electricity is alternating current and how much is direct current.

Though it plays a major role in understanding how electronics work, math is not absolutely NEEDED for (very) basic circuits. That being said, for more complex circuits, a fair amount of math is necessary so that you know what the circuit will do. Math and practical ability are not two different things. The math and analysis helps us to understand the practical ability of the circuit. They both work together, and both are equally important.

In order to design electronic circuits, it is very helpful to know a fair amount of math. A good place to start is Ohm's Law: V=IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance of the circuit. It also goes more in depth to describe power. Here's a diagram that has helped me greatly through the years:

It also helps to know some basic trigonometry and basic calculus, but it depends on how complicated your circuits will be.

I hope this answered your questions. Good luck!
Best regards,
Der Strom

I did an intensive course on electronics in 1980.
The course was very good with theory being done in the morning then practical being done in the afternoon.
I got a city and guilds T224 in industrial electronics from the course.

I managed to get a job as a test engineer and slowly moved on from there into electronics design and then into software.

You will always continue to learn as new things come out.
I have been doing it for 30 years and I am still learning.