Electronics Jargon

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Recently I had a phone line installed by BT and undertook a line-rental and broadband package with them. I noticed that once the broadband was installed I started hearing noise and crackling on the line, which was sometimes so bad that I couldn't hear the person on the other end of the line. Intuitively I tested the phone socket, all my wires, and changed my ADSL filters - still no improvement. So phoned BT and explained the problem to them, they said that it was a high-resistance disconnection (should I suspect that is some form of open circuit fault!) and they would need to conduct a Local Loop Unbundling Special Faults Investigation!! It is apparently a straight forward procedure and an easy fault to repair!

Anyone else come across such wonderful jargon in the world of electronics?

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
i hate jargons,
but at least in technical field they are having a specific meaning.
is it some sort of humming sound? i used to have those before but it was some sort of problem in the circuitry which corrected itself(only God knows how).

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
is it some sort of humming sound?
Its more like a whistling/hissing noise. There is something fundamentally wrong because when the phone rings the net goes off-line. Cheapo router I think!

I'm still amused by the high-resistance disconnection, and the ensuing Local Loop Unbundling Special Faults Investigation that is required! Maybe its a diversionary tactic :D

Dave

Salgat

Joined Dec 23, 2006
Our phone(landline) has had issues where it has been giving some nasty hissing/56k internet reminiscent sounds for a period of days at a time. Several times repair has come out, and unfortunately with it being an intermittent problem, they always think they fix it only to find it doing it again later on. Hope you don't run into this.:mad:(which is why I personally only use my cell phone, as much as I hate it)