ELECTRONIC WATER LEVEL INDICATOR & CONTROLLER With LM3914

hhhunzai

Joined Nov 14, 2011
Dear sir,
please tell me how may I post, insert or upload pictures on this site so that i will be able to Insert pictures.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

There is this in the FAQ:

Attachments and Images

How do I attach a file to a post?
To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.
On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.
To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.
Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.
What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?
In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.
How do I add an image to a post?
If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.
To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing
after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

Bertus

T.Jackson

Joined Nov 22, 2011
You probably should refrain from using the word "sir" so often. I tend to reserve it for times of respect. Like, when you get pulled over by the Police they may let you off with a warning for drink driving if you show a lot of respect. Call the Police "sir", and they might hand you a get out of jail card.

Is your name Bob Barnes by any chance? You sound like him a bit.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Sorry hhhunzai, I don't think those are going to be a of immediate help. They are out of focus, many wires are masking component locations, and it would take a good day or more to try and reverse engineer the pref board back to a schematic to check for errors.

How about we start with basic troubleshooting. Do you have a voltmeter?

Ken

hhhunzai

Joined Nov 14, 2011
Yes sir I have a digital voltmeter. and it is possible for me to troubleshoot the circuit.
Beside this I am thinking, why don,t I make a circuit on AutoCAD, of the fabricated circuit board. Will this be an easier way?

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
I was just thinking of troubleshooting what you have. Recall, in my schematic posting I said "It's not bench tested (or simulated)"

Apply DC power (12V).
Connect something to the SSR output to monitor it's operation.
Connect the probes, but not in water.
Are any of the LEDs lighted?
Is the SSR switched on or off?
Does pushing the switches change the state of the SSR?
Can you measure an AC voltage between the "Drive" electrode and ground?

Ken

hhhunzai

Joined Nov 14, 2011
1. I have applied 12V DC.
2. Connected voltmeter buzzer on the output of SSR but it is not ringing.
3. Connected probes with a wire jumper, Previously I had done this by dipping probe in water as well as with a wire jumper, but the LEDs are not tilting.
4. There is not any response from SSR, but when I checked it before three days it was responding like a diode. It was allowing flow on one side but when I connected multimeter leads it was net responding. this flow was occurring when I supply the power to circuit, after removing power it was allowing only for four to six second then its stopped.
5. Pushing the switches no any response is coming.
6.Voltage between drive electrode and ground is 6.35V AC and voltage between drive and all probes is 6.07.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
6.Voltage between drive electrode and ground is 6.35V AC and voltage between drive and all probes is 6.07.
Good! We now know that the power connects to U1 are correct and that the oscillator is working.
Now, connect a jumper between the Drive electrode and the High sense electrode. Does the LED light? Do this for each sense electrode.

Ken

hhhunzai

Joined Nov 14, 2011
I already have mentioned this, I had checked by shorting the drive with each sensor. But the LEDs are not lighting.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Bertus,

Are you referring to my schematic or the OP's photos? C15/C16/C17 in my schematic are for IC bypass. I count seventeen capacitors in the OP's photos.

Ken

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Taking a closer look at the photos, they seem to be there, although the connections are quite long.
Also an larger capacitor (10 - 100 uF with a 0.1 uf parallel) at the power entrance would make the circuit more stable.

Bertus

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Agree with bypass layout issues. The addition of bulk supply capacitors will depend a lot on the power supply used. But at this point, I would prefer to deal with which sections are working and which aren't.

Ken

hhhunzai

Joined Nov 14, 2011
The inputs of NAND gates are as follow:
U1B=5.75VDC
U1C=5.80VDC
U1D=5.81VDC
U1B=5.81VDC
U1C=5.81VDC
When these inputs are coming to the NAND, the output remains the same (11.97VDC).
It is obviously not output, but the voltage coming through LEDs and resistors connected to 12 v supply in series.
I measured these voltages on each sensor one by one.

hhhunzai

Joined Nov 14, 2011
Yes you are right, I have read the data sheet. please tell me what may I do to increase T+ for inputs.
Is there any solution available for this?

Last edited:

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Big OOPS!
Change R1-R5 to 100K or higher...maybe 470K.
When I created the schematic I copy/pasted the resistors, and forgot to change those values. That should bring the voltage up. I'll post the corrected schematic here later.

Have to go now.

Ken

Attachments

Last edited: