electronic tremolo

Big Sammy

Joined Jan 28, 2012
I am trying to incorporate an electronic whammy bar (tremolo arm) into a guitar and use a touch sensitive variable resistor to activate it. I am thinking of intercepting the signal from the pickup and altering it before it gets to the amp with an onboard circuit. Would a voice changer circuit do this? Is there touch sensitive switches that would work as a pot? Is there a better circuit idea that would work?Thanks for any help you can give me!!!

Big Sammy

Joined Jan 28, 2012
That might be exactly what I was looking for....I was hoping to be able to use a touch sensor to act like a variable resistor, to control the trem....any ideas on that?

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
that should not be much of a problem. expose two electrodes and measure resistance of the touch. normally electrodes would be alternating strips (pair of combs) like in rain sensor. resistance would be largely function of applied pressure. but moisture would also be factor so sweating would change sensitivity or even completely ruin circuits responsiveness. if you really want to use touch, consider capacitive sensors. there are capacitive proxy senors with analog output...