Electronic switch

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi all,

Is there a kind of relay that is latching but without it being supplied continually? (i.e. when supply is given, contact is close. If supply is removed, contact remains closed. When the supply is applied again, the contact will open).

The reason why i want it this way is because i want the system to be low in power consumption as much as possible.

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
But all lutching relays need continuous supply to their input pins to keep the contacts close. Am i right?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Don't forget that the "holding current" for a regular relay is typically much less than the pull-in current. Meaning that with a regular relay you can really reduce its power consumption by a method to reduce the current level after the relay has been operated.
Of course its not like a latching relay in that no current is required to keep its state..But you might also have issues with a latching relay in situations where you must ensure its in the correct state after a power loss situation.

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Sure.. but you could also just have the backlight turn off after x amonut of seconds of inactivity. (assuming you have buttons or something to signal a user is actively using it)

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi all,

Regarding the latching relay that i was going to use to reduce power consumption, is it better to use a solid state relay?? Does solid state relays consumes high power ??

Thanks in advance