Electronic Steam Whistle

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
A little clairification please.? So you just want a synth to sound like a steam whistle

or a steam whistle operator?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Im sure they are around. The model railroading community HAS to have these for the scapes.

Thing is, how LOUD are you talking?

Just something for a model railroad? or do you want somthing ala Flintstones "Im outta here" - "Quittin' time" 180+ db loud?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I want to use an electronic circuit to create a steam whistle sound when I close a switch.
I know that you asked for a circuit and this is not a direct answer to your question, but Velleman makes a kit (MK134) that generates the sound of a steam engine and includes a whistle switch. Velleman publishes the schematic for most (if not all) of their kits.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Have you seen this article?

http://www.epanorama.rackhost.net/s...hesizers/Model Railroad Sound Synthesizer.pdf

It's been around for quite awhile (1977) but you could have fun building it.

You could substitute a 2N3904 or 2N2222 for the 2N2712 transistors shown.

[eta]
I decided to throw a portion of the circuit into a simulator, and thus far I'm not impressed. There are some obvious errors around the 555 timer.

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The Velleman kit is easy to put together. The sounds are really pretty decent for what it is, depending on your output sound system.

czars

Joined Jul 9, 2009
Thanks for the inputs.

The MK134 has a pretty good chuff sound, but the whistle is a single frequency tome and doesn't sound very good.

I'll try the others that were suggested.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I know it's a bit off topic, but if you REALLY want to make a real steam whistle, there are plans for a Lunkheimer in Guy Lautard's "Machinist Bedside Reader", vol 2, pg 134. IIRC, it didn't look too hard -- mostly straightforward lathe work...