Electronic Salvage Boneyard

StephenDJ

Joined May 31, 2008
Does anyone have suggestions for how to properly dispose of electronic garbage? Recently we got the screwdriver and tore down an old copier, got most of the rods, pulleys, the lens, and cables, circuit boards, motors, most anything we might could use out of it. Needless to say I had toner on my hands. But now it's nothing but scrap metal and big pieces of hard plastic in the back of my pickup truck. Where can you carry such junk?

StephenDJ

Joined May 31, 2008
Nope, I live in the country and all I can see here is trees and woods. I hope my new avatar I just recently posted will answer that question:). There is a garbage collection truck that comes through here once weekly to pick up garbage bags. I guess I'll have to saw it up even further on the table saw just so I can get it into the bags!

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Don't the local council have a responsibility to assist in the disposal of electronics items for environmental reasons?

I know things this side of the Atlantic are changing in this regard, but in many places they won't allow you to put electronic waste in with general waste so they provide "silicon-dumps" for electronic items. Where it goes from there is anyone's guess (probably into the same landfill as the general waste!)

Dave

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
I think if in North American if we had the limited waste removal service, we would either be less likely to consume and throw out, or there would be garbage everywhere. Still undecided !

StephenDJ

Joined May 31, 2008
Don't the local council have a responsibility to assist in the disposal of electronics items for environmental reasons?

I know things this side of the Atlantic are changing in this regard, but in many places they won't allow you to put electronic waste in with general waste so they provide "silicon-dumps" for electronic items. Where it goes from there is anyone's guess (probably into the same landfill as the general waste!)

Dave
That's exactly right, Dave. It doesn't seem appropiate to put it in the regular garbage pickup. However, well, the local county/road department might have a place like a big garbage bin where I can put it, but I'll have to check it out. Thanks guys.