Electronic Parts Cross Reference

Tony9168

Joined Mar 6, 2016
Could anyone share some efficient way or experience to cross reference the electronic parts in order to achieve cost down?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Not sure I understand your question.

Industry standard parts will have the same (or vary similar part numbers), e.g. CD4014 and HEF4014. If you get a 2N3904 from NatSemi and Motorola, the parts should be functionally the same; otherwise, they shouldn't use the same part number.

If you're talking about substituting less inexpensive comparable parts, e.g. 2N3904 for 2N2222, there's no list. You need to understand the circuit requirements and select appropriate substitutions.

You need to pay attention to the complete part number. BC547A is not the same as BC547B.

Tony9168

Joined Mar 6, 2016
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply and advise. Actually i am doing some cost down project by replacing the current electronic parts to another maker which has lower price but same specification.

I have tried https://www.siliconexpert.com/. It seems like very useful however the free trial is only available for 7 days and the subscription is quite costly.

Therefore, is there any guys over here is doing the similar things as me? Could you share any effective method to find for the cross reference parts?

Thanks~~~~

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Therefore, is there any guys over here is doing the similar things as me? Could you share any effective method to find for the cross reference parts?
I've never seen a comprehensive list. Can you give some examples of what you're looking for?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
In days gone by the sales reps from the suppliers would do the cost reduction searches by not just finding candidate parts, but parts available and in stock. Is there some reason you can't exercise this channel? If you use a contract assembly house, their purchasing agents can do this for you as well.

Tony9168

Joined Mar 6, 2016
I've never seen a comprehensive list. Can you give some examples of what you're looking for?
Example: A has the monthly usage of 100,000 pieces with the price of US$ 1.00 per piece. If i able to replace A with another parts with similar function which is only US$ 0.50 per piece, i will get a saving of US$ 50,000 per month.

Example: Linear Technology - LTC3412A

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have not found any cross comparison sites, BUT I have certainly discovered that some sources are far more expensive than others. Small resistors was a big area with a very wide spread of prices.
But very often there is also a huge spread in quality and reliability.
What type of parts are you looking for? That is the very first question. I always avoid single-sourced parts in a design, if it is reasonably possible. That is also a good way to assure part availability, and usually lower prices.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Example: A has the monthly usage of 100,000 pieces with the price of US$ 1.00 per piece. If i able to replace A with another parts with similar function which is only US$ 0.50 per piece, i will get a saving of US$ 50,000 per month.

Example: Linear Technology - LTC3412A
If you're not using "standard" parts (those with multiple sources), it's not likely that you're going to find less expensive drop-in replacements.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Could anyone share some efficient way or experience to cross reference the electronic parts in order to achieve cost down?
The very first thing we need to know is what sort of "electronic parts". That is far too broad a spectrum to offer any useful advice about. Next, what sort of quantities are involved? Parts for a hobby experimenter would be much different from parts for a production operation or a school science program.