Electronic Door Lock keypad with Arduino

StealthRT

Joined Mar 20, 2009
Hey all i have a project i am interested in doing. It involves an Arduino and a Kwikset 909 Smartcode Electronic Deadbolt. I am looking to program the Arduino to mimic me pushing the keypad on the deadbolt face so that it will unlock using my cell phone, webpage, etc etc since the Arduino will be hooked up using the Ethernet Shield to a web server at the house.

The image of the deadbolt unit is this:

Problem being is that i do not know how to go about using the arduino to "push" the buttons since they seem to have 2 digits per button. Also, how would i go about wiring them up so that i only have to use one ground wire for each button so it minimizes the wiring i'll have to use?

Is this possible? What would the wires to each button need to be? Positive or negative to trigger the button?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Can the keys wiggle?
So when you press left, the left number is used,
and when you press right, the right number is used.

Bertus

StealthRT

Joined Mar 20, 2009
Ok i will be picking this lock up today so i will be sure to post images of the housing and electronic board to better give a visual as to what all i need to do.

I guess i could hook up to the relay but i am not sure if their software checks for anything and locks it out if the keypad is not used or what not?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
It would appear there are only 5 push-buttons with two numbers on each button. I had a car with a door-lock that worked the same way. Having two numbers allows you to select a number sequence that's easier to remember.

You'd have to look at the circuit, but I suspect that the buttons have a common return connection which would mean seven connections from the keypad.

I would think you can likely activate a button by turning on a CMOS mux switch, such as the CD4051, from each button connection to the common.

StealthRT

Joined Mar 20, 2009
What i plan to do with it is this:

Create an Android App that runs in the background and after 5pm it checks every 3 minutes the GPS lat & long of my position and when I'm around the house it will send a command to the server and it will unlock the door before i get to it from my driveway.

I just wanted to make sure i would be able to mod the deadbolt first since i have not seen any Google listing s for the model i will be purchasing.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Well if that's the what your after, then you just need to switch a relay to power the motorised bolt, or maybe use the transistor/relay output in the lock, so you wont need to connect to the keypad?

StealthRT

Joined Mar 20, 2009
Just an update... I haven't forgotten about doing the pictures. Just been busy moving in to the new home. Will get those done tonight!

StealthRT

Joined Mar 20, 2009
Sorry again for the delay! Moving into a new home and having boxes everywhere kinda slows down the process of modding stuff.

I should have some time today to test out the motor and see if it reverses and also what voltages it uses.

StealthRT

Joined Mar 20, 2009
Hum well i went ahead and bought this one for now (LockState LS-DB500R-RB
). I will be ordering another replacement again sometime soon and will update this post when i have! :)

JMW

Joined Nov 21, 2011
What if you have misplaced your phone and it is near your home? What if a rapscallion is near your home awaiting your arrival to perform a nefarious deed?