electronic dartboard

edski

Joined Sep 22, 2010
hi, im a new member here. i just need your help badly. i know your all great here.
can anyone give some idea on how i will detect the dart? what kind of switch? its almost been a week, i still havent an idea. pls. i'll for your reply....thanks:)

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Well, you can make little "metal detectors" whose coils are in the scoring areas on the dart board.

When the metal dart hits the cork board, the metal detectors on the other side of the board can detect the area it hit.

edski

Joined Sep 22, 2010
what kind of metal detectors?..coz actually iv been try to make the conductor plates, unfortunately, i cant find the conductive foam

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I mean just like the metal detectors you use on the beach to find treasure.

Just build small ones.

Are you using the whole dart board? Even the "double" and "triple" areas? If so, it may be quite hard to tell them apart with the metal detector way.

Building a capacitive area to sense the metal rather than a traditional metal detector may work better.
a foil sheet with a styrofoam plate as the dielectric.

You would then need a LC meter. Im guessing you are using a microController..a big one.

There are 82 areas to hit on a dart board. That means you got a lot a work to do.

You will need to multiplex the heck out of this.

There was a guy made a floor that would detect where people were in the room.

He used foil. You might want to look that up to see how he did it.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Yes. Standard Aluminum Foil used for wrapping a sandwich, or putting on the grill before cooking out, or making hats out of to keep the government from reading our thoughts... That stuff.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You would but it on the BACK side of the dart board.

Im not exactly sure it would even work, Im just suggesting ideas.

It may be possible, if the dart board was thin enough, that the capacitance of a foil/foam/foil cap could be changed by metal in the 1 square inch vicinity.

This would require great testing, and I cant imaging you getting enough accuracy with this method to be able to tell the difference between 2 spots close together.

Hopefully, as more people wake up, others with better ideas will post some good ideas.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Actually, a better idea may be to use hall effect sensors.

If you had a magnet or even just magnetised iron filings on the dart, the hall effect sensors can detect the dart.

With 82 segments to hit you could divide each segment into groups of four, or more, sensors. The four sensors would use an OR gate to tell the MCU that the board was hit in that segment. Then, the individual sensors in that segment could be used to determine exactly where it was hit. Or, you could have the segments idea but instead of multiplexing, use the MCU to turn the sensors on and off (just control the power pin.) Then, you can switch entire groups of sensors off. If you do this rapidly enough, you can determine the individual sensor which is giving a reading.

Also, what about a touch screen? Or more appropriately, a resistive touchscreen panel you can buy. It has no LCD, only a resisitive membrane. If you placed that behind the dart board surface, deep enough so it wouldn't be penetrated (as doing so may damage it) you could determine where pressure is put. Disadvantage is, though, it can only detect one hit a time, while the multiplexing idea can detect many.