Electronic component kits

electronics wiz

Joined Mar 15, 2007
I'm looking for large kits of resistor and capacitors. I was wondering if any of you had bought a kit like this and if so, what do you recommend getting and where do you recommend getting it?

fanie

Joined Jan 20, 2007
Not sure what you're after. Maybe if you explain a bit what you mean by 'large kits of resistor and capacitors'.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I started with the RadioShack resistor kit. It is OK, but is just an E12 series, I think. Later, I got larger E24 kits of surface mount resistors that have proved very useful. You may find that some kits cost more than buying the individual parts, so shop around. But, all in all, I would recommend getting something like an E24 set of resistors and E6 for capacitors. The E(n) kits means there are n number of values per decade. E12 is, for example, 1.0, 1.2, 1.5, 1.8, 2.2, 2.7, 3.3, 3.9, 4.7, 5.6, 6.8, and 8.2.

Edit: I should have said that recommendation applies if you are planning to do analog stuff. If you will be doing just digital things, then you probably don't need such assortments.

John

creakndale

Joined Mar 13, 2009
I purchased kits of 1/4 watt metal film axial (thru-hole) resistors from Digi-Key that I've been happy with. If board space is tight, then you can bend the leads to make them radial mount.
RS1X-ND contains 10 - 97.6 ohms
RS2X-ND contains 100 - 976 ohms
RS3X-ND contains 1K - 9.76K ohms
RS4X-ND contains 10K - 97.6K ohms
RS5X-ND contains 100K - 976K ohms

Each of these kits contain 5 each of 96 resistor values and are $30 each.
Stay away from carbon film resistors unless you need values of 1M or greater.

As for capacitor kits, Digi-Key has lots to choose from but you need to specify what type and case style you want. I prefer Radial mount for capacitors.

creakndale

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I started with the Radio Shack kits myself, and worked up from there. Their resistor kits are decent, as are their capacitor kits.

Another good source for parts is Dan's Small Parts and Kits. He's an odd duck, does all his business through the postal service and via checks. Not all his parts are good, he is an uber surplus dealer after all, but in total it is a very good deal. I doubt I'll ever use his 1000 transistor kit I bought, and some of the batches are bad (I suspect the manufacturer knew they were), but most are acceptable.

Here is one of my projects I put up, for resistor storage. For the guy who like to have it now.

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
I started with the Snap Circuits and then went into "The 500-In-One Project Lab" which is really fun. It's a nice piece of equipment and it comes with an assortment of IC's, diodes, resistors, and capacitors. In addition, it also comes with three manuals for all of the 500 projects.

Razor Concepts

Joined Oct 7, 2008
I started with the Radio Shack kits myself, and worked up from there. Their resistor kits are decent, as are their capacitor kits.

Another good source for parts is Dan's Small Parts and Kits. He's an odd duck, does all his business through the postal service and via checks. Not all his parts are good, he is an uber surplus dealer after all, but in total it is a very good deal. I doubt I'll ever use his 1000 transistor kit I bought, and some of the batches are bad (I suspect the manufacturer knew they were), but most are acceptable.

Here is one of my projects I put up, for resistor storage. For the guy who like to have it now.
Oh my... that web site is a mess. He goes from 8pt font to 500pt :eek: