electron wave --- some doubts

logearav

Joined Aug 19, 2011
While dealing with deBroglie's idea, my book mentions these points
1) The electron is a wave whose length decreases with energy
2) If you try to squash an electron wave closer to the nucleus, the wavelength must get smaller
3) When its wavelength is as small as a nucleus, its energy becomes so great that the attractive force of the nucleus isn't big enough to keep it there

From the first point, i infer that the wavelength decreases if frequency increases.
But i can't understand the rest of the points. Members can help in this regard.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
While dealing with deBroglie's idea, my book mentions these points
1) The electron is a wave whose length decreases with energy
2) If you try to squash an electron wave closer to the nucleus, the wavelength must get smaller
3) When its wavelength is as small as a nucleus, its energy becomes so great that the attractive force of the nucleus isn't big enough to keep it there

From the first point, i infer that the wavelength decreases if frequency increases.
But i can't understand the rest of the points. Members can help in this regard.
Hmm, are you interpreting points 2) and 3) or is this the actual text in your book? Neither of these actually ever, or can ever, occur in reality as far as I know. If these are not the exact text that is in your book, it might help if you post the exact text. Otherwise, these just seem like flights of fancy. Misguided thought experiments and not really worthy of much extended pondering.

As a matter of fact, the electron gets generally closer to the nucleus as its energy goes down.

logearav

Joined Aug 19, 2011
BillO, Thanks for the reply.
The points 1,2 and 3 are found in the book Physics authored by Ken Dobson, David Grace and David Lovett. Collins is the publisher. ISBN IS 0 -00-322328-0