1. We will be in Read Only mode (no new threads, replies, registration) for several hours as we migrate the forums to upgraded software.

Electromagnets

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by horsebox, Jun 16, 2007.

1. horsebox

Thread Starter Active Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I wound some stranded copper wire around an allen key about 15 windings and applied about 7 volts to it but it did absolutely nothing.

It may have been a steel allen key. Could that have been the problem? Or was the voltage too low?

2. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    I can almost guarantee it was a steel allen key. I've never run across any other kind. Steel is an alloy of iron and carbon, by the way. All room temperature steels are magnetic - except the austenitic stainless steels.

Try using a lot more windings.

(I trust the wire was insulated, yes?)

3. horsebox

Thread Starter Active Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Yeah I guessed it was steel. Is there a big difference in flux between using an iron core or a steel one?

I stipped the insulation off the wire. Was that a mistake?

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Yes, taking the insulation off the wire was a mistake. The turns just acted like a short, so no magnetic field got created.

Another thing that will help, besides using insulated wire - use a softer steel for the core. Something like a big nail will be more permeable than a hardened steel Allen key.

5. recca02

Apr 2, 2007
    also try a lot more windings,
    i remember long time ago when i made one i used a lot of windings and the book
    suggested abt 200 turns.
    use a thin enamelled wire (the one u wud find in small transformers)

6. bloguetronica

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 27, 2007
    With 7 windings you may experience magnetic atraction, but due to the excessive current. You will make a short for sure. Use wire until you have an appreciable DC resistance (20-50Ohm would do).