Electromagnetism

Michael Lin

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Hi,
I have a question about electromagnetism that I can't find a solution to from the web. Is the magnetic permeability of a material in anyway related to the magnetic dipole moment of the material? The use of the same symbol μ really confuses me. They obviously can't be the same number since they one is dimensionless and one has specific units. Please let me know if there is a simple relationship between them.

Thanks,
Mike

Brandon

Joined Dec 14, 2004
Originally posted by Michael Lin@Sep 23 2005, 05:51 PM
Hi,
I have a question about electromagnetism that I can't find a solution to from the web. Is the magnetic permeability of a material in anyway related to the magnetic dipole moment of the material? The use of the same symbol μ really confuses me. They obviously can't be the same number since they one is dimensionless and one has specific units. Please let me know if there is a simple relationship between them.

Thanks,
Mike
[post=10543]Quoted post[/post]​
There may be a relationship but the 2 values are very different. Don't forget that you have a permeability in a perfect vacuum, but its not like you can have a dipole moment in a vacuum, no one is there.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase...tic/magmom.html

I have posted a link above to HyperPhysics who provide an explaination of Magnetic Dipole Moment as a result of a current carrying loop. Firstly, the two values permeability (μ) and magnetic moment (μ) are completely individual values. However, there will be a connection between the two since the torque of a current loop is dependant on the magnetic field B. Therefore there is a connection between the permeabilty (of free space) and the magnetic dipole moment, even though there is no direction connection between the two (that I know of).