electromagnetic spectrum ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Frequency and Wavelength of Energy in the Electromagnetic SpectrumEnergyFrequency in hertzWavelength in meters
gamma-rays 1020-1024 <10-12 m
x-rays 1017-10201 nm-1 pm
ultraviolet 1015-1017400 nm-1 nm
visible 4-7.5x1014750 nm-400 nm
near-infrared 1x1014-4x10142.5 um-750 nm
infrared 1013-101425 um-2.5 um
microwaves 3x1011-10131 mm-25 um
radio waves <3x10 11>1 mm

Sorry for the crappy chart it is on the of this link http://www.spacetoday.org/DeepSpace...vatories/Chandra/ElectromagneticSpectrum.html

gamma , xray , and ultraviolet waves do they make recievers /transmitters using these frequencies other then for use in theortical or astronomical observations??? Other then xrays being used in medical xray machines for imaging the human body. What other things are these frequencies used for seems to me anything over visible light would be harmful to a human and is not really practically to use. <-- maybe these high frequency spectrums are only used in astronomy for detecting the universe ,....etc etc Could be wrong though ?

Also I have no idea if ultravoilet waves are ever in use for something other then maybe a tanning place or medical something?

Does the FCC have any regulations for these frequency bands or do the FCC just have regulations set for radio , microwave , infrared , and visible light?

Curious to know how much allocation for the microwave , infrared , visble light ,....and higher spectrums. I know RF waves are pretty much all allocated and restricted to certain things by the FCC?

I know microwaves are used for radar , and weatherforcasting , ...etc

What I am looking for is a chart that lists all the frequencies what they are using them for , what modulation techquie , and how much bandwidth is allocated to them.

I want to know this to better understand how the whole spectrum is being used.
And most importantly where the unallocated regions of the spectrum are.

Thanks

Last edited:

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
OK , thanks for the chart. This is cool!

Anyway my main question now would be over 300GHz frequencies >

How much regulation and allocation is on the electromagnatic spectrum beyond the RF part.

I don't think their is any regulation on visible light though so leave that one out.

More curious on the microwave , infrared , ultravoliet , xray , and cosmic/gamma waves.

I am wondering how practical communication could be with these frequencies? Since I know some of them are really susceptable to weather conditions/noise ,...etc (so I am curious how fast we can push the frequency to transmit data on. Like it may come to a point where the error rate would be worse then the speed of transmission of data )

Seems to me their has to be a practical limit of how high a frequency we can use to transmit data reliable on. Wondering what that is exactly? ( or an approximate limit an upper bound or something)

Also seems to me that anything above the visible light would be a bad idea to use wirelessly since these higher then visible light frequencies can harm humans (i.e cause cancer and other things ).

So I think pretty much that leaves only the microwave , infrared parts left but I think these would be some what effected by weather and heat to much .......???

Last edited:

TheBellows

Joined Jan 18, 2009
So called black light is UV.
I think UV is used for sterilization of medical equipment, but that's probably high power stuff not to play with. Like a death ray. :p

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
OK , thanks for the chart. This is cool!

How much regulation and allocation is on the electromagnatic spectrum beyond the RF part.

I don't think their is any regulation on visible light though so leave that one out.

More curious on the microwave , infrared , ultravoliet , xray , and cosmic/gamma waves.

I am wondering how practical communication could be with these frequencies? Since I know some of them are really susceptable to weather conditions/noise ,...etc (so I am curious how fast we can push the frequency to transmit data on. Like it may come to a point where the error rate would be worse then the speed of transmission of data )

Seems to me their has to be a practical limit of how high a frequency we can use to transmit data reliable on. Wondering what that is exactly? ( or an approximate limit an upper bound or something)

Also seems to me that anything above the visible light would be a bad idea to use wirelessly since these higher then visible light frequencies can harm humans (i.e cause cancer and other things ).

So I think pretty much that leaves only the microwave , infrared parts left but I think these would be some what effected by weather and heat to much .......???
This is what I am really interseted to know.
The question in this post

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007

None that I know of. Have at it.

Not yet, anyway. Now that you brought it up, it will probably be regulated and taxed.

Microwave is in the RF spectrum; and that is regulated.
X-rays and above are potentially hazardous, and are beyond the scope of the forum.

Can I interest you in some flashing LEDs?
I am wondering how practical communication could be with these frequencies?
It's done all the time. You just don't know about it.
Since I know some of them are really susceptable to weather conditions/noise ,...etc (so I am curious how fast we can push the frequency to transmit data on. Like it may come to a point where the error rate would be worse then the speed of transmission of data )
That's where fiber optics come in. Data transmitted at the speed of light. Bandwidth is huge. It's in use.

They're always pushing the boundaries. There is too much potential profit in it, to NOT push the boundaries.

Have you visited WebMD lately?

Well, yeah.

OK, can we close this thread now? Please?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
That's where fiber optics come in. Data transmitted at the speed of light. Bandwidth is huge. It's in use.
Yeah but I am talking about wirelessly. Fiber optic is using a fiber to prevent interference and uses the princples of reflection ,....etc

If you tried to send data with light wirelessly then you could have major interference issues....
Unless of course you are using your eyes for the reciever one if by land 2 if by sea :)

X-rays and above are potentially hazardous, and are beyond the scope of the forum.
what about the ultravoilet part is that not regulated and used yet either by the FCC?

They're always pushing the boundaries. There is too much potential profit in it, to NOT push the boundaries.
Ya, but their must be some practicle bounds on when it is to hazards for humans or to much error from noise to be relible for data/voice transmission??

I am looking for how fast a frequency we could ever use practicle for data transmission?

OK, can we close this thread now? Please?
Ok , just wanted to make minor corrections before I leave it as is.
I am assuming RF spectrum is all regulated and anything above that spectrum is up for grabs.

Thanks

Last edited: