Electromagnetic application on hardware project for motorcycle security

Novice1

Joined Feb 25, 2011
hello guys..i have been given a task to do motorcycle security system based on the application of electromagnetic (especially for the hardware ). This electromagnetic concept have been restricted to be apply onto brake or handle or the fuel system. I choose want to apply emt concept onto the handle but i really did not have any idea on how to do it. I hope u guys can give me an idea for the project. Thanks a lot guys..:)

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Are you fully aware of the power requirements an electromagnet will create?

Running it from a battery will mean a very short operational life until charging is required. Usually not a good thing for a security system

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
A normally-locked system could also be worked by the starting battery on larger motorcycles. This would however complicate matters in case of a really flat battery.

What do the owners of cars using electronic locks do in case of battery failure? Is there always a mechanical over-ride, or must they resort to cutting the vehicle open?

Last edited:

Novice1

Joined Feb 25, 2011
I really did'nt know about the power requirements an electromagnet will create..:)..How about if we apply the EMT concept to the braking system?Is it ok guys?The idea is to control the speed of the motorcycle when it reaching the speed limit. When it reach the speed limit it will automatically turn ON the braking system by slowing it down. In this project, I plan want to use 12V DC motor as a replica of the motorcycle travelling over the speed limit. The brake I want to solenoid, because solenoid use EMT concept. To turn ON the solenoid I want to use timer to turn it ON, which is the timer connected to the 12V DC motor. Please correct me guys if what I said is wrong, any critics and idea is welcome..thanks guys..:)..

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Why mess with the brakes at all?? I consider that a serious safety violation and believe the modification of a motorcycle in this matter should not be attempted by anyone other than certified automotive engineers.

Use the solenoid to cut the 'spark' to the motor, or else use it to cut the gas feed to the carburetor. Neither one of these approaches is likely to lock up the wheels on a bike traveling at high speed, but will still cause the bike to come to a stop(safely) if driven too fast.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I thought your task was security, not safety?

Any system that would limit speed by automatic application of brakes on a motorcycle or car would increase, not decrease risk. Your use of a solenoid to apply the brake strikes me as a poor design. Will you be able to control the braking force? How will you account for brake wear and brake fade? Will the rider be able to over-ride the braking? If the solenoid is engaged, how will you allow normal braking action? And in a motor cycle, how do you intend to balance front and rear braking forces?

John

Novice1

Joined Feb 25, 2011
Alright..thanks a lot for the idea..:)..well,I thought I want friction concept jz now for the braking system because I think it would slow it down. The project could be either on security or safety. Based on security I do have an idea to make it, the idea is when other people touch the motorcycle it would turn ON the alarm. It use the concept of electromagnetic field. But I really did not have an idea how to generate the EMT field or part to use.

Last edited: