Electrohome air conditionner dont start but buzz

weeb0

Joined Jun 13, 2005
Hi,
I have an old 10.000 btu electrohome air conditionner. I used it last summer was working fine , and now I try to start it and the fan don't work anymore. I hear something buzzing (like a big transformer or something). The compressor is working fine, but the fan don't work. Since your great in electronics, do somebody knows what could be wrong ? and how to fix it ? I'm an electronic technician & engineer, so I think I'll be able to fix it.

Thank you.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
One likely culprit for the buzzing is the fan motor. I've experienced more than one motor buzzing when it froze up.

If it were me, I would start by checking the motor windings and starter capacitor (if any) with an ohm-meter. If I decided the meter gave a good result, I would proceed with a good cleaning and some lubrication.

n9xv

Joined Jan 18, 2005
Sounds like the fan motor. They usually work off 120-VAC. You can varify that first by checking the connections with a VOM meter. If thats the case then disconnect it and run a separate 120-Volt line to the motor and see if it still acts the same way - buzzez but wont turn. If so replace and try again. The fan motor will probably set you back $30 to $60 depending on the size. You might get lucky and find a shop that sells used motors too! Good luck and stay cool.

Erin G.

Joined Mar 3, 2005
If the motor was electrically burned out it probably wouldn't make any noise at all, and would more than likely blow fuses or trip a breaker somewhere every time it tried to start. The part that burns up the most on these is the start capacitor. When the fan tries to start and only makes the buzzing noise, give the fan blade a spin with your finger (be careful!) and see if it starts. If so, replace the cap. If the fan doesn't spin freely, the motor bearings are out and it's time for a new motor.

Don't run the compressor for long periods without this fan or you may damage the AC unit.

weeb0

Joined Jun 13, 2005
thank you for your answers,

I tried to spin the a fan blade with a screw driver ( to be safe) and he don't spin by himself. On the motor, I see 2 yellow plugs, and it's written to oil the motor once a year with 10/20 oil. would it be simply that (about 2 years without oiling it) ?

And, for the winding or the capacitor, what are the good values (ohm) for those ?

thank you a lot!

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Resistance of the windings will depend on how big they are and what size wire was used. Make sure they are not open.

Make sure that the cap is discharged before testing with ohm-meter - or before handling in any other way. A good cap will initially read zero ohms and increase to open as it charges.

No oil huh? Won't turn freely? Sounds like the shaft could be siezed up. If it were mine, I'd be dissassembling and cleaning at this point. And checking for mechanical damage.

micwal

Joined Jul 1, 2005
I think you mentioned a spec of 10/20. I assume that this is SAE viscosity. You should be able to use straight 10 or 20 weight oil available from a car parts vender.

TarHeelTom

Joined Sep 3, 2005
Originally posted by weeb0@Jun 19 2005, 08:40 PM
oops...

Where can I find that oil ? can I use sewing machine oil ?

thank you for help...
[post=8621]Quoted post[/post]​

I don't think it matters what kind of oil you use. Any kind of oil you happen to have around the house will probably work just fine.

The military is really very picky about their oil specifications. But there is one particular helicpter gearbox which is used on two different models of helicopter. On one model, we use 5W turbine oil in the gearbox. In the other model, we use 90W gearbox oil. The gearbox really doesn't care which you use.

Lots of stores carry a particular oil container of about 1/2 pint, with a very long spout on it, at least 6 or 8 inches long. These containers are very handy for reaching oil points on fan motors.

Sewing machine oil is just fine, as would be whatever oil can you happen to have on hand for your car. One advantage to sewing machine oil is that it will run down a long oil supply tube very easily.

Tom