I know of emperical evidence that a 900V, 300 mA supply will hold a body on the supply for a second or two. The saving grace was that person's body resistance at the time was pretty high ... 200k or so ... so only 4 or so mA was flowing. It took a good mf'r scream for that person to remove themselves from that supply.The only difference is, DC bucks you like a mad bull! If you come in contact with high voltage DC, it causes the muscels to retract in such a way that you'll be sent flying in the opposite direction.
Originally posted by n9xv@Feb 14 2006, 06:20 AM
chesart1 provides some great links. I would add that you can sum it up like this;
Its the current that kills! As little as 100-mA to 300-mA of current actually flowing through the body can be leathal.
As far as the current is concerned, current is current. That is, 100-mA to 300-mA whether its AC or DC.
The only difference is, DC bucks you like a mad bull! If you come in contact with high voltage DC, it causes the muscels to retract in such a way that you'll be sent flying in the opposite direction.
AC has the effect of "glueing" you to the point of contact. With AC you cant let go. I'm speaking of 60-Hz AC here. The muscels contract & retract at such a rate as to not allow you to break free. Some people argue the above because they have been shocked by AC and experienced the "bucking" phenomena from AC. Thats true to a point. Beyond 120-VAC @ 60-Hz and with enough current, you'll likely not be letting go.
AC at RF frequencies (> 10-KHz) the effect is to burn the point of contact.
All physicalogical conditions concerning electrical shock use current in their descriptions.Not quite correct about the old adage that current kills.
Originally posted by alva@Feb 15 2006, 02:38 AM
Not quite correct about the old adage that current kills.
Current WITH high voltage kills. High voltage being around 40+ volts.
The higher voltage forces the current through skin much easier.
If you hook up a 6 volt battery and a 6 ohm resistor creating 1000mA of current,
I don't think many people will feel a thing if they touch the circuit unless they're in a bathtub.
yeah and swallowing the 9v battery can kill you a lot easier.Originally posted by aac@Feb 21 2006, 09:38 AM
Your body has resistance too. It has to be added to the 6 Ohms. So with your circuit you won't feel anything because you won't get 1000mA. If your dry skin is dry, you might have 150kOhms. You won't even get 1mA. It is the current that kills you, no doubt. It sure doesn't take 40V to get enough current so you can feel it. Try putting your tung on a 9V battery really quickly.
|Thread starter||Similar threads||Forum||Replies||Date|
|S||Advice and help on Electrical motor safety , potential danger. Greatly appreciated||Power Electronics||29|
|An Electrical Safety Video... by negative example.||Off-Topic||2|
|A||Touching live wires on high voltage line.||General Science, Physics & Math||21|
|A||Induction motor shaft voltage and electrical safety for the operator||General Electronics Chat||16|
|A question about 'shock current path' in "Vol I - DC > Chapter 3: Electrical safety"||General Electronics Chat||5|
|Advice and help on Electrical motor safety , potential danger. Greatly appreciated|
|An Electrical Safety Video... by negative example.|
|Touching live wires on high voltage line.|
|Induction motor shaft voltage and electrical safety for the operator|
|A question about 'shock current path' in "Vol I - DC > Chapter 3: Electrical safety"|
by Aaron Carman
by Jake Hertz
by Duane Benson