Electric Vehicle Connectors

danmachen

Joined Mar 16, 2011
Hi,

I'm a mechanical engineer, haven't the slightest clue about electrical (apologies). I'm working on building a small electric vehicle and need help knowing what kind of connectors are needed to join the battery modules to the chassis.

Basically, we have 9 battery modules, each made up of 166 cells. I have all the data sheets on the cells and modules but still no clue what information i need to use to work out what connectors will be best. The connectors also must have ability to connect the low voltage system to the batteries to run the battery management system.

Can someone help and point me in the right direction?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The key electrical parameter is current rating in amps. Do NOT put more current through a connector than it is rated for. That turns it into an unreliable fuse, aka fire starter. Voltage matters as well, but is unlikely to be an issue at the "low" voltages you are dealing with. Maybe I'm underestimating your voltages.

Beyond that, you need connectors that meet your physical and environmental needs. Waterproof? Practical for multiple connect/disconnect cycles? Multi-conductor or single? On and on. I'd crack open a Mouser catalog and start looking for ideas.

danmachen

Joined Mar 16, 2011
I've been told the max voltage is 400v. Yeah, they'd probably need to be waterproof as well as practical for multiple connect/disconnect. Its a connection for High voltage batteries such that the batteries can be removed completely from the chassis and recharged.

For a battery module I have the nominal capacity in Ah (at 0.2C discharge) and the operating supply current, but how does this related to the current rating of the wires?