Electric razor won't turn on anymore (pics inside)

Cretin

Joined Dec 13, 2012
So my andis electric trimmer was acting up again, and I read that an easy fix might just be a little facial hair buildup (don't worry, no pics of that)

I unscrewed it and went to put it back together, and it doesn't seem to be working anymore. I plug it in and using my voltage detector I get a red indicator telling there is power running through the wire and up to the point on the electric razor where the feed splits and i have a free ground wire and a red wire coming out of the transformer. From there when I turn the electric razor on, it doesn't work (doesn't turn on)

Now to be honest, I have tried powering on the device while orienting the red and black wires in both possible positions...is there a possibility I destroyed the transformer, or any other components inside of the electric razor?

What are some things I can test to:

1: Make sure I have oriented the black and red cables accordingly

2: Find out why it's not powering on

I've got my meter, i've got a bunch of tools...and I would love your help! (pics below)

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
I have repaired my clippers, but the guts don't really look like that. I just had a bad wire. Someone will be by to help you out.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
It shouldn't matter which way you apply the voltage because your using the ac to oscillate a electromagnetic field causing the head to be pulled because the rise and fall of power ... what I would do is see if the coil is getting power and then make sure you have a working electromagnetic field working in order to oscillate the arm ... Then go over the arm and make sure it moves freely and free of hair and dirt causing it to stick in place..

Cretin

Joined Dec 13, 2012
It shouldn't matter which way you apply the voltage because your using the ac to oscillate a electromagnetic field causing the head to be pulled because the rise and fall of power ... what I would do is see if the coil is getting power and then make sure you have a working electromagnetic field working in order to oscillate the arm ... Then go over the arm and make sure it moves freely and free of hair and dirt causing it to stick in place..
That's a great start Dr. Killjoy, but how do I test the coil to see if it is getting power?

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
You should be able to hear the coil (and metal armature) buzzing. If they are then it's a mechanical problem. If they are anything like the one I took apart to see how it works, then there should be a spring, which may need adjusting to make it resonate. I think there was also a capacitor in there which could be dead. Capacitors die a lot.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
That's a great start Dr. Killjoy, but how do I test the coil to see if it is getting power?
If the coil is getting power and isn't open circuit - it'll at least hum.

Vibration can fatigue the wires inside the casing and the motion of using the shaver can fatigue the mains lead at the point where it enters the strain relief gland.

Cretin

Joined Dec 13, 2012
It hasn´t vibrated at all no matter how i orient the wires, now i´m thinking i might be putting it back together incorrectly...

As you can tell from the images, there are two terminals to power the coil, and i have attached the terminals to the two holes that lead in from the main switch to power the razor. I am not sure what the problem is, but I will test again for the coil to see if i get a buzz.

Also, a question....if i plug it in while the coil out of the casing is that dangerous, or should i always put all of the pieces back together, and then try to power it on:confused::confused:

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
Also, a question....if i plug it in while the coil out of the casing is that dangerous, or should i always put all of the pieces back together, and then try to power it on?

Should not hurt anything at all.

Sure you are not pinching something on reinstall?

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
It hasn´t vibrated at all no matter how i orient the wires, now i´m thinking i might be putting it back together incorrectly...

As you can tell from the images, there are two terminals to power the coil, and i have attached the terminals to the two holes that lead in from the main switch to power the razor. I am not sure what the problem is, but I will test again for the coil to see if i get a buzz.

Also, a question....if i plug it in while the coil out of the casing is that dangerous, or should i always put all of the pieces back together, and then try to power it on:confused::confused:
Well it's not dangerous unless bare wire are exposed and you touch them ...You can test the coil to see if it magnetic with a screw driver and see if it pulls the crew driver.. If it doesn't then the coil is shot and the mechanical part can be moved with your hand and make sure when putting it back together make sure there is a small space between the arm and the coil ... I have a high end oster shaver that I will open up if you want and show you ...

Cretin

Joined Dec 13, 2012
Well it's not dangerous unless bare wire are exposed and you touch them ...You can test the coil to see if it magnetic with a screw driver and see if it pulls the crew driver.. If it doesn't then the coil is shot and the mechanical part can be moved with your hand and make sure when putting it back together make sure there is a small space between the arm and the coil ... I have a high end oster shaver that I will open up if you want and show you ...
Alright I´m going to give that a go...and Dr. Killjoy if you´ve got time that´d be great! I´m a much better visual learner:)

Cretin

Joined Dec 13, 2012
Well well...I got it working....the culprit?? A loose wire head, just a little bit of solder, and works like new :)

Thanks all for your help!

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012

Depends on the construction and how the armature is fixed to the frame.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Thanks for such the healthy discussion on the topic of electric razor. It really help me out in getting the valueable insight.
Please don't reply to 6+ year old threads (called "necroposting"), especially when you have nothing valuable to add to the conversation.