Electric pump to dispense the hand sanitizer gel

tnn

Joined Jul 21, 2017
Hi,

I want to use an electric pump to dispense the hand sanitizer gel ...

should I use a type pump that gives me a small amount of gel at a few pulses?

can anyone recommend me some model?

do I see if I find peristaltic dosing pump?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Hi,

I'd try to take a look at one of the commercial units and see how they do it. I suspect a positive-displacement, plunger type pump. Like a syringe. But that's just a hunch.

RAMBO999

Joined Feb 26, 2018
Hi,

Yes. Peristaltic pumps are used in diswashers for exactly that purpose. Controlled dosage. Tpically 230 VAC 3.5W. All you need is a plug and a push button electrically speaking.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Yes. Peristaltic pumps are used in diswashers for exactly that purpose. Controlled dosage. Tpically 230 VAC 3.5W. All you need is a plug and a push button electrically speaking.
Those dishwasher pumps are for quite thin liquids, and so they may have a problem with the thick gell stuff. In addition they all have a lot of external plumbing and so the system would be fairly involved.
Please describe the specific goal of creating such a system, and what sort of use is anticipated, that matters quite a bit.
A system to be used by the general public must be far more durable than one used by a household or family. Keep in mind that perhaps 10% of the general public will totally ruin almost everything that they touch.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
One building I work at has "electric pump to dispense the hand sanitizer gel" in the elevators. They are not near the floor buttons. They are on the far wall about belt high. When the elevator is too full people are forced to push against the wall. The dispenser will fill my back pocket with gel.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
These things exist already, if you just need one it's surely cheaper to buy one, if you include labor hours in your cost. On second thought, maybe none are available about now with the virus issues in the world..

Or if you want a one-off for a fun project, you could make a fixture to hold a regular pump bottle of sanitizer from the store, get a gear head motor for a few bucks, 3d print a cam lobe for it then add whatever kind of trigger you want to make the motor run. Assemble it all so that the cam lobe pushes down on the bottle dispenser. Presto auto-dispensing sanitizer.

RAMBO999

Joined Feb 26, 2018
Those dishwasher pumps are for quite thin liquids, and so they may have a problem with the thick gell stuff. In addition they all have a lot of external plumbing and so the system would be fairly involved.
Please describe the specific goal of creating such a system, and what sort of use is anticipated, that matters quite a bit.
A system to be used by the general public must be far more durable than one used by a household or family. Keep in mind that perhaps 10% of the general public will totally ruin almost everything that they touch.
Not at all compicated. They can handle thick concentrated washing up liquid comfortably. They are quite robust. All you need, as I said, is 230 VAC power supply and a push button to activate the motor for as long as you like. As for the detergent there are two ports. One with a tube to the detergent bottle (on the right in the picture) and one from where the detergent is dispensed.

Attachments

RAMBO999

Joined Feb 26, 2018
ok could you indicate some model or link?
Just google "persitaltic pump". They come in all shapes, sizes and prices. If you go for a 230 VAC one then you don't have to bother with a DC adapter. The low voltage DC pumps tend to be a bit cheaper but then theres the adapter cost on top.

This one below looks like a reasonable one. So if you can imagine this mounted inside a box connected to a 13 amp plug with a push button in series and a tube going from the right hand port into the deteregent bottle and the left hand port spitting the detergent into your hand.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSA...TERGENT-CHEMICAL-DOSING-PUMP-KIT/132415065512

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Not at all compicated. They can handle thick concentrated washing up liquid comfortably. They are quite robust. All you need, as I said, is 230 VAC power supply and a push button to activate the motor for as long as you like. As for the detergent there are two ports. One with a tube to the detergent bottle (on the right in the picture) and one from where the detergent is dispensed.
The three pumps that I have are functionally similar, but with 120 volt 60Hz motors and they are not nearly as muscular looking as the ones shown. And the connections and enclosures needed to keep the general public from electrocuting themselves would take a serious effort to make. And still we must keep in mind that 10% of the general public. The truly tragic part is that the courts and legal system seem dedicated to the prevention of natural selection.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I also would look at the peristaltic pump solution, if you obtain the kind with stepper motor drive, it is very easy to meter it via a number of steps.
Max.

RAMBO999

Joined Feb 26, 2018
The three pumps that I have are functionally similar, but with 120 volt 60Hz motors and they are not nearly as muscular looking as the ones shown. And the connections and enclosures needed to keep the general public from electrocuting themselves would take a serious effort to make. And still we must keep in mind that 10% of the general public. The truly tragic part is that the courts and legal system seem dedicated to the prevention of natural selection.
I'm not suggesting that the OP just twist the wires together and nail the whole thing to the wall near the sink. A certain amount of consideration will have to be given to encasing the assembly in some kind of idiot proof casing. Even in domestic setting.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
As in #2. Definitely a buy-instead-of-make, in my opinion. I can get one delivered to my door for under $30.
Yeah, I'm sure they can be found cheaper. I just did a quick search and picked one of the first few that popped up. There are lots on the market.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I'm not suggesting that the OP just twist the wires together and nail the whole thing to the wall near the sink. A certain amount of consideration will have to be given to encasing the assembly in some kind of idiot proof casing. Even in domestic setting.
Dummy resistant takes some effort, but actually idiot proof is very difficult to achieve.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018