Electric problem HO train layout

redbird731

Joined May 10, 2009
Have A 24 volt Ac transformer operating latching relays. Need to operate 16 volt AC switching coils on the same circut,what reistor or reistors do I need to lower the voltage on the coil side of the switch. Thanks for any help.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Have A 24 volt Ac transformer operating latching relays. Need to operate 16 volt AC switching coils on the same circut,what reistor or reistors do I need to lower the voltage on the coil side of the switch. Thanks for any help.
This depends on what the relay coil's operating current @ 16V is. You can measure this or you can measure the resistance of the coil (POWER OFF) to determine it. When you know either value please post it and you will get a quick answer.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
For the instantaneous switching of H.O. points, you can probably get by with 24 volts. I'm pretty sure that's what I did....won't tell you how long ago. :)

Eric

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
Can you wind a 3:2 transformer? Resistive voltage dividers waste power. You can also use two capacitors to step down the voltage as long as you're using ac. Calculate Xc1:Xc2 = 3:2 at 60 Hertz.