Electric motors for lift

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
The motor you selected is 46 grams. the propeller is just over 3.5 inches across.

If you are very lucky that will lift itself of the ground, but won't have much left for any other lifting. The motor looks like it could handle another inch or two of propeller length.

and going over the highest spec'd voltage (6V) would not be something you want to do.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Un loaded, the motor would probably self distruct from high RPM with drastic voltage increase before max current is reached; something like running an efficient series motor with no load. Looks like a low pitch prop, so may need more RPM, I'd increase V untill max current is reached.

Last edited:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
That cuts your weight by 60% and only shaves 20% off the torque.

If you have the choice, try both sizes of propellers, the larger one might be to much for the smaller motor.

Have you considered the RPM vs the structural integrity of the plastic blades? 13,000 RPM is MUCHO centrifugal force on the tips

1mm and smaller drill bits spin that fast or faster, but propellers? I haven't looked it up yet, but I'm guessing that is too much RPM for those blades. If one blade broke free it could hurt someone severely

something lower than 6 or 7000 RPM would be better; and the bigger blade might need more torque than the small motor makes, but current measurements would be required to know for sure.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
right idea, wrong rotation. >>> Air Digs -- Water Slaps.

Your motor specifies clock rot. looking at shaft.

Propeller shown is for counter-clock rot .

the pitch of the blades on a prop. is designed to pull the craft thru the air

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Props for RC planes are made to take extremely high rpms but remember that all propellers are designed for different purposes. Those for planes were designed to pull the plane through the air, they don't work by creating rearwards thrust. Helicopter blades work more as a revolving wing in that they provide lift due to the faster air speed over the top of the blade as opposed to the bottom. It's all a matter of experimentation to see what works best.

If you want to see props take a look at http://www.towerhobbies.com

Last edited: