Electric Motor Wiring

bigrig

Joined Apr 26, 2010
Can someone help with wiring an ac motor for my home project? I have a Dayton fractional hp 115 ac gearmotor.
It has 4 wires labeled field/yellow,field/red,armature/blue,
armature/black. It shows line yellow and black for cw or line yellow and blue for ccw. Ignoring the 3rd wire ground and hooking ac line to yellow and black what do I do with remaining 2 wires red and blue?

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Can someone help with wiring an ac motor for my home project? I have a Dayton fractional hp 115 ac gearmotor.
It has 4 wires labeled field/yellow,field/red,armature/blue,
armature/black. It shows line yellow and black for cw or line yellow and blue for ccw. Ignoring the 3rd wire ground and hooking ac line to yellow and black what do I do with remaining 2 wires red and blue?

Here is the wiring diagram off of a 115VAC Dayton Motor I have on hand,

the numbers in the schematic matches the numbering on the connection breakout of the motor....
DAYTON MTR1a.jpg

DAYTON MTR2.jpg
I hope this helps....

B. Morse

bigrig

Joined Apr 26, 2010
Thank you for the diagram. I understand that hooking one side of ac to field(yellow) and other side to armature(black) should produce cw rotation but I am unsure if to hook remaining wires together or not use them at all. all 4 wires are hanging loose from motor.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Thank you for the diagram. I understand that hooking one side of ac to field(yellow) and other side to armature(black) should produce cw rotation but I am unsure if to hook remaining wires together or not use them at all. all 4 wires are hanging loose from motor.

No wires should be hanging loose from the motor, the breakout connectors on the end of the motor is where all the wires should go according to the diagrams for CW and CCW... Is your motor missing the breakout terminals??

B. Morse

bigrig

Joined Apr 26, 2010
It is an old motor but never used. It is factory wired internally with access wires to hook up in various applications. I was going to bench test to be sure it would still work. Will take my best shot, film at 11. Thanks for the help.

bigrig

Joined Apr 26, 2010
The model # is 2Z797A and says volts 115 and does not say ac or dc. It was sold by Grainger but this model is no longer available and could find no info on their website.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
The model # is 2Z797A and says volts 115 and does not say ac or dc. It was sold by Grainger but this model is no longer available and could find no info on their website.

I talked to my Dayton Rep, and this is an AC/DC motor, the proper way to connect power to it would be like this...

2Z797_connection.gif

Red and Blue just tie together.....

B. Morse

bigrig

Joined Apr 26, 2010
Thank you Morse. That seems to be correct. It will run on ac and will reverse when switching two of the wires. I appreciate the extra effort talking to a Dayton rep. It runs like a champ and I found info on the web by leaving the A off the model number

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I have used my share of dayton motors. A previous HVAC company replaced our self-contained units blower motors with unsealed units. The building runs around 90% - 100% humidity. These things get drenched, as they are inside the blowers squirrel cages. So they shorted out -all- seven of them in about a month. So I went with the dayton sealed replacements and that was 2.5 years ago. Still going.

@BMorse, you are one of those invaluable resources here on AAC. I hate you for it ;)
just kidding.

@alim-
Wow December 2005 and still only a Member. I guess membership levels are not based on time. You should be potentate or something. :)