Electric Motor Options for Sawmill Debarker - 3/4HP 1550RPM 12VDC

Mikeysp

Joined May 11, 2016
Hi. I want to build a debarker for my sawmill and am looking for an economical motor option.

A debarker is like a circular saw with a 1/4" wide blade that runs just in front of the bandsaw blade and removes dirty bark, so the bandsaw blade stays sharp 2-3 times as long.

The factory debarker has a 12VDC 1550RPM 3/4 HP motor and has to be able to handle the weather during operation.

I am trying to find a cheaper alternative to the factory option. Would a 1750RPM motor with everything else equal be effected much in torque? I have found some of these on ebay.

What type of motor am I looking for? I thought of a small .5KW car starter motor, but there must be something in the design that limits it's duty cycle as I can see it burning up. Example:
LT40Debarker.jpg

Here is the model motor for the factory debarker:
woodmizer motor.jpg

Thank you for your help. -Mike

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You could try the automotive starter as long as it is PM field, the wound field series starter motor operates in a run-away condition without load, so may not be suitable, but they do have very high torque.
Max.

Mikeysp

Joined May 11, 2016
Hi! Wanted to thank you for the help. I built the debarker and will be installing it this afternoon. I ended up finding a new old stock motor for it at a very good price. Here is a pic: