Electric motor and gearbox that can reach 100Nm

Daan888

Joined Mar 20, 2023
Hello everyone,

I am working on a project where I want to tighten bolts to a torque of 100Nm with an electric motor. I want the speed to be about 60 RPM so it does not take to long.
I've been looking for a little while now for a motor with a gearbox that fits my needs but I haven't been able to find a lot.
I was considering to use a cordless drill motor with gearbox that could reach 100 Nm but I havent been able to find a seperate motor with gearbox.

Does anyone know where I can find a motor that fits my needs? Or if someone has a completely different idea let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Daan

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

Could you explain the application. To the naïve eye, it seems that a cordless drill is the solution all by itself.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Does a cordless drill provide 100 Nm of torque? I doubt it. For us in the U.S. that is 73 ft/lbs. With a wrench a foot long I would have to apply 73 pounds of force. I would guess that is comparable to what you apply with a tire iron.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That torque requirement is fairly high, you could consider one of the older automotive starter (series) motors, with some reduction they are very powerful.
Even without They should exceed 100Nm.

Daan888

Joined Mar 20, 2023
Welcome to AAC.

Could you explain the application. To the naïve eye, it seems that a cordless drill is the solution all by itself.
Thanks! I understand when you say that the cordless drill is the solution and I see I wasn't specific enough. My idea is to make the process of tightening the bolt automatic so that I don't have to do anything.

The specs of the cordless drill in the review below say that this drill can provide almost 100 Nm of torque. I do not know if this is because it uses the same mechanism as an impact driver or something.
https://www.protoolreviews.com/dewalt-dcd997-hammer-drill-review/

A starter motor is a nice idea but I am afraid that the speed of these motors is too high for my project.

Daan888

Joined Mar 20, 2023
I feel like I can make a more compact solution than just mounting a complete drill to something. I want to determine the produced torque as well by measuring the current. I feel like that is hard to do with an impact driver.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Doubtful. An impact driver can produce high torque by, wait for it, using impact. To produce the same toque continuously would require a larger motor / gearbox.

It is analogous to using a capacitor to produce a current to a flash tube that the battery cannot produce continuously.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
It might help to watch a few episodes about different drivers—impact, ratchets—on The Torque Test Channel. That do rigorous testing on battery powered tools. You might find you are in for more of a challenge than you expected. To meet your requirement, you will need about 738 foot pounds of torque.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
100 Nm @ 60 RPM is 0.84 Horsepower, that's a beefy motor.
Might be best to consider some dual-drive system that spins the bolt quickly and low torque, then engages another low-speed, high torque drive to snug them down.
Measuring torque via motor current is going to be very unpredictable due to the frictional losses in the gear train.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello everyone,

I am working on a project where I want to tighten bolts to a torque of 100Nm with an electric motor. I want the speed to be about 60 RPM so it does not take to long.
I've been looking for a little while now for a motor with a gearbox that fits my needs but I haven't been able to find a lot.
I was considering to use a cordless drill motor with gearbox that could reach 100 Nm but I havent been able to find a seperate motor with gearbox.

Does anyone know where I can find a motor that fits my needs? Or if someone has a completely different idea let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Daan
They make electric devices to tighten and undo lug bolts. You could look into that idea. They can provide a lot of torque but i don't have any specs.